Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity SQL maintenance and AD, Exchange

evan.proios
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone does any of the Microsoft recommended maintenance on their Cisco Unity or CCM? We have been up and running for over 3 years and have been starting to get some strange errors on occasion. We have 0 scheduled jobs in unity exchange or SQL. Microsoft recommends regular database maintenance and upkeep but we are not sure how it may affect Unity. The Maintenance plan wizard in SQL is usually set up in most databases but is not in Unity. I use some of the tools in the Unity Tool Box but am not sure if that helps the DB. I am wondering if anyone out there uses any of the tools in enterprise manager or Exchange manager? Do you ever perform an exchange defrag, a delete orphaned records from the database, compress and re-index the database, Active directory user cleanup, any of the recommended Microsoft tools for SQL, Exchange and AD.

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies 7

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

We follow strickly to this doc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/maintenance/guide/ex/5xcumge050.html

This is for Unity 5+

There are maintenance docs for every version.

Randy

Thanks for the post. I do follow those but did not know if anyone followed any additional maintenance plans like those used in a non unity exchange/SQL server. If I may ask you what is the size of your unity server and how long has it been in place. We have just over 2000 mailboxes and have been running for 3.5 years. Also did you set up your unity yourself or did a vendor? Most SQL cleanup jobs can be scheduled in the background through enterprise manager so I am wondering if vendors may set this up at time of install.

Thanks

Thanks

When I came here is was over 1000 subscribers, now way down from there.

Unity 4.05 and now this year I did a hardware and software upgrade to 7.02

I have be doing Unity since the year 2000 before Cisco owned it so yes I set I up.

You should not need to manually set up sql jobs but if you wanted to you could.

My setup is failover and I think 8 jobs are set up buy the Unity setup or failover config.

Hope this helps some.

Randy

Yes it was thank you. I am looking to upgrade now as well. I am currently on 4.05. I have already set up an additional server with exchange 2003 and joined it to the domain. The old exchange 2000 and new 2003 are communicating properly. Next I guess I need to get the unity software running on the new server and migrate over. Any advice for the upgrade or pitfalls you saw that should be avoided?

Thanks

what is your plan for the migration?

what version are you going to?

Randy

I have not decided that yet. My first goal was to get a 2003 server running with exchange and to get the exchange to sync with the older 2000 exchange. I did not start looking at the upgradeing unity software yet. I am still stuck in the 4.x call manager version for many reasons but would like to upgrade unity first. Any recomedations on what version to go to?

I am on Unity 7.02 and Exchange 2007.

I upgraded from Unity 4.05 and exchange 2003.

Everything is working great here.

This might be the old way but this is what I did.

Built up Unity 7.02 on a new server.

Partnered it with Exchange 2007

Used the GSM tool to migrate subscribers from the 4.05 Unity to the 7.02 Unity.

Decomissioned the Unity 4.05

Many people are using COBRAS now for migration. I would consider this.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_COBRAS.htm

Watch the videos and read the help file.

Good luck and we are here if you run into things.

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: