Views
Helpful
Replies

defrag windows CICM

a.bonniec
Level 1
Level 1

I use a plateform CICM Cisco V7.

I look for a procedure to defragment the disks of my servers either the frequency of this defragmentation. My platform assures approximately 20 million calls a month.

Thanks for your reply

Alain

5 Replies 5

joesnyde
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of disks are these? Why are you defraging?

I use disks of 36 Go or 72 Go in RAID 1 OR 10 fast IDE now ATA supplies by HP.

I think of making of the defragmentation on the servers of type Router, Logger or AW where lot of accesses disk are made by the application CISCO.

For other applications which I managed under Windows, we made a defragmentation annually.

Now, the question that I arise a defragmentation is recommended by Cisco; I have not not found in the documentation Cisco this advice.

We generally do not tell customers how to manage their servers. This is mostly left up to the Server Admins to follow normal best practices for maintaining health of servers. Here is one link about Server Best Practices but has no mention of Defrag; http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/custcosw/ps1001/products_tech_note09186a00808160f4.shtml#Sub1.4

However, if your maintenance windows allows a defrag to occur by all means do so, as you know this will improve performance. Include if possible a disk cleanup as well.

Do you currently use a scheduled maitenance plan for your Logger and HDS databases, your SQL admin should be doing this as well.

Now, whe have not defined a maintenace plan ; ecxept for database where we start a periodicaly a shrinklog.

Sorry for my english ; I am a french !!!!

Thanks for there informations

regards

Alain

No problem about your English, one of my best friends is from Paris and understand what you mean.

I would suggest to your Database Admins that they start a maintenance plan for the databases that I mentioned before. Their is a wizard that they can use to create such maintenance plans or they can use the Microsoft site to get this information. I am also attaching a few documents about planning this maintenance as well, these are the same I would send to customers when I worked in IPCC/ICM TAC. Two of the docs cover information from Microsoft's site and the other is SQL statements to manually maintain the database. These are similar to creating a scheduled SQL Maintenance plan by using the Database Maintenance Planner -> Open SQL Enterprise Manager -> Select Database Server -> Tools from the menu above and the planner should begin.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: