cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT across subnets

qbakies11
Level 1
Level 1

I have two offices in different cities. I'm trying to use an external IP address from an Internet circuit in city A to connect to a website hosted on a server in city B. City A and city B are connected through a P2P T1 WAN line and they are on different subnets.

I have set up the static NAT translation on the firewall in city A to point to the correct IP of the website in city B, and added the IP to my access-list for port 80 access.

When I try to access the site by external IP it times out but I see the access-list statement increment so I know it's being activated. I can open the website internally from either city. I can also ping from the firewall in city A to the website in city B successfully. Is there any way for me to get this to work?

10 Replies 10

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

I understand that this may sound trivial, but have you tried to add the reverse in the acl for traffic back from city b?

for instance

permit tcp 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 host 63.10.10.10 eq 80

permit tcp host 63.10.10.10 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 eq 80

I am not saying this will work but I have had to do this in the past.

Thanks for the reply but it didn't help.

have you done any debugs to see what is being sent and coming back?

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'm not sure how to do that. I tried viewing the real time log in the ASDM but it didn't give me any useful information.

no need to be embarrassed, this is the point of the forums to help each other along. There are a lot of smart people on here willing to assist.

I am one of the new guys still learning.

Try this:

ping (remote ip)

then

debug ip packet detail

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk379/technologies_tech_note09186a008017874c.shtml#debugippacket

This will give you a lot of info so you will need to look through the logs. You are looking to see if the icmp made it out and what is responding back, if anything. This will help narrow down which side, or what part of the acl is having the issue.

******DON'T FORGET to do undebug all before you check your logs!!!!!

That command doesn't seem to work on the firewall, I think it is just a router command.

you are correct. I am sorry I missed that part. Let me get on my firewall and get you the command.

try debug icmp trace

then make sure to undebug all

sdoremus33
Level 3
Level 3

If is no trouble could you provide the following

1) The two devices A and B (routers PIX Asa appliances etc..)

2) The ACL you created and the actual nat translation. Thanks

So you are essentially using static nat to xlate the redirected outside ip address srcd from Site to outside interface of the PIX, then redirecting that to an inside address on Site B correct.

Also remeber the order of operation with NAT, and PAT.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card