Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from ACS 4.0 to 5.0

shareef800
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What should I do to upgrade the ACS 4.0(1) to the latest version 5.0 on Windows 2003?

Will I be able to retain the user groups and associated policies? Where to obtain the update S/W?

Do we get an update S/W or the complete pack for Version 5.0... Please help

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ACS 5 will not run on Windows. There are also some feature disparity between the two versions. You'll want to double check all features are supported before upgrading. Currently version 5 requires a new purchase, there is no upgrade path.

More info can be found here http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Security&topic=AAA&topicID=.ee6e1fe&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc2b091

darpotter
Level 5
Level 5

According to Cisco marketing V5 is not a replacement/upgrade from V4.. despite the name!

As with all major new products/platforms best to wait for the .1 release for bugs to be ironed out.

V5 seems to be aimed mainly at very large 802.1x deployments where 4.x suffered from scalability issues.

jhillend
Level 1
Level 1

ACS 5.0 currently supports many but not all access scenarios. ACS 4.2 will continue to be available for customers that require it. Please check here for a comparison with ACS 4.2.

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.0/user/guide/migrate.html

If you find ACS 5.0 meets your needs, ACS 5.0 comes with a migration tool that will assist you in moving some types of data from your ACS 4.x to ACS 5.0, including internal users and passwords, user groups, network devices, network device groups, shared dACLs, command sets and limited few others. Actual policy configurations are not moved. Please refer to:

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.0/migration/guide/migrationguide.html

Thanks!

If we have to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1.. what would be my easier way to retain policies, users and groups?

Is it a seemless upgrade being Windows 2003 O.S and just following the on screen prompts will do?

Before you start upgrade make sure to take a backup of acs database.

Now run setup.exe of 4.1 , on second screen it will prompt you " Do you want to keep existing database" MAKE SURE YOU ENABLE THAT OPTION, else it will not upgrade database. Rest keep following the screen ...next..next ..!

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

So is 5.0 a brand new version that would not be covered if the customer has purchased 4.2 with Software Application Support service??

I ask because I have a customer with 4.0 and we're trying to figure out what version they should go to. I'd hate to say go to 4.2 only to have it go EOL shortly which would then require a purchase to 5.0.

Make sense??

Hi Jagdeep,

Thanks for the info...

How can we determine whether ACS is using internal or external DB? in either case what is the proceudre to backup?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: