cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

linksys wip310 or wip330 wireless phone to Call Manager

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

Has anyone done anything like this or know if this is possible to get a Linksys wip310 or wip330 working via SIP to Call Manager on the 802.11 wireless network. Currently running 6.1(2). I am looking for an cheaper alternative to 7921 to deploy to a certain department at one location. If not a linksys any other options?

12 Replies 12

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

The Cisco WIP310 operates in the 2.4-GHz band and supports 802.11b/g and the latest VoIP Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).

Cisco WIP310 Wireless-G IP Phone:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10033/ps10041/data_sheet_c78-502697.html

From a Call Manager prospective though; anyone with overall experience making this work. For example any issues dropping calls, call transfer, caveats of any sort....

It works pretty well. I am using callmanager 7.0 and a linksys WIP310. I configured the phone in CUCM as an advanced 3rd party SIP phone. I also built an end user with the user id and password the same as the extension. I then edited the WIP310 config from the built in web page and configured with the user id, password, and proxy address of callmanager. I think the key was to add the "digest user" info on the phone configuration page in CUCM to the end user I had created.

Hi Nicholas,

I'm having trouble trying to get a WIP-310 to register with our CUCM. I've managed to get Cisco mobile 8 working on the iphones so I know it's not a problem with the wireless network. Basically I've followed the steps as you have outlined several times but still the phone does not register and the CUCM says the status and ip address of the WIP-310 is unknown. I can confirm that the phone is connected to the network and has received an ip address via DHCP. As a reference I am also having the same problem trying to connect a SPA525G using SIP. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Hey Keith,

So you webbed into the 310 and configured the CUCM IP address on the username and password? And you configured the "end user" in CUCM the same as your are setting on the phone. That end user is placed on the phone config in CUCM as "digest user".

And not sure if this part is required or not, but I associated the device to the end user page. See attached screenshot.

-Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have created a new phone security profile with digest auth enabled and applied it to the 310 device profile. The device profile is then associated to the end user profile where I have entered the digest credentials etc. The 310 is configured via the web browser as you have shown previously. I have also associated the device to the end user as you have just shown. Still nothing???? Dont know where to go next really, I have tried a lot of combinations of configuration but feel I'm missing something easy somewhere!

Any ideas?

Keith

Keith,

I never enable or modified digest auth and never wrote about that in my original post. I configured "digest user". Please refer to Screen shot 2010-09-09 at 11.04.49 AM.png from my original pictures. I did not configure anything more than what I discussed and screenshot. I did not configure digest auth.

I think you need to disable digest authentication on the callmanager phone security configuration and on the 310 if you have it enabled there too. Once you do that you should be fine.

Hi Nick,

I have tried it the way you described without playing with the security profile etc but still get nothing. I started to look at the security profiles after reading this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_1_2/ccmcfg/b09sip3p.html

I have just retried with basic configuration and the phone is still "rejected".

Keith

OK, I've got it registered now after speaking to Cisco.

'If you're configuring these devices as a Basic 3rd Party Device, you will want to make sure you have a digest user that is the DN of the phone you're trying to configure.  For instance, if you're configuring extension 1000, then the digest user you have assigned to that device needs to be user with an ID of 1000.  You couldn't assign a digest user of 'ian' to your SIP device for that extension.'

My problem was I was using a name and not a number in the digest user field.

Cheers,

Keith

Excellent instrucctions.  Thank you for the attachments.

With these phones on a Call Manager server, what are the limitations of using them? Is there anything which does not work? For example, call transfer, hold etc?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: