cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ISR, ASR and MULTISERVICES PLATFORM ROUTERS

khizar.khan
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to identify differences between ISR, ASR and Multiservices platform router, specially between ISR and ASR routers.

Kindly anyone here differentiate among these routers.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Khizar,

the difference is quite evident in terms of performance:

ASR have performances between C7200VXR with NPE-G2 and C7600 with Sup720 (more powerful).

They have dedicated hardware ASICs and special purpose processors to be able to deal with 5-10 Gbps of encrypted traffic

ISR in range 1800-3800 have performances lower then C7200 VXR with npe-g2 and work in software with no ASICs.

multiservice routers should be the last 2600 XM if I'm not wrong.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks a lot....

One more question arises from your explanation.

When 7200VXR can be used for DATA, VOICE, VIDEO and therefore can be described as Integrated Services router,

Then why we should go for ASR then??? because ASR is similar to 7200 and 7600 series in performance.

Hello Khizar,

a c7200 with NPE-G2 can handle 2 mpps that are just enough for two GE with packets that are not the smallest.

A c7600 can handle up to 720 Gbps and tens of millions of packets per seconds I see a big difference between these two !

ASR should be in the middle able to forward between 5 to 10 Gbps with built dedicated HW for encryption

ISR is the name of a product family that includes 1800, 2800, 3800 I don't see it as a standard definition of capabilities of a device.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

shamsugrace
Level 1
Level 1

1.       Cisco ISR: (integrated Service Routers):  typically used as internet edge forcustomers with small/medium networks.

2.       Cisco ASR (Aggregation Services Routers): typically used as internet edge forenterprise networks and service providers.

3.       Cisco CSR (Carrier Routing System): typically used in (IP/MPLS) core networksand for high-speed peering in smaller point-of-presence (POP) locations.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: