Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager 5.1.1, snmp v3 and STP topology

ROMAN TOMASEK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I configured my devices with snmp v3 authnopriv. On all devices I configured snmp context for all vlan.:-( Is it necessary for LMS 3.1 to configure snmp context for all vlans? I had to configure cca. 40 snmp contexts;-( But when I used device discovery and data collection, the links between devices are red dashed:-( Without contexts these links were discovered correctly.. I use IE 7.0.5730. What is recommendation setting for network where few devices are Cat2950 and the rest devices are 2960,3560 ,and 3750?? Is possible to configure snmpv3 with context configuration (on Cat2950 - it isn't possible) or configure all devices with snmp v2c??? Thank you.

Roman

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cat2950s do not work well with Campus Manager with SNMPv3 because they do not support contexts. Yes, you must configure a context for every VLAN in order for STP and User Tracking management to work properly.

Contexts should not cause your links to be dashed unless there is a problem with the rest of your SNMPv3 configuration. Please post your SNMP configuration, or open a TAC service request with that information.

I'm sending you the snmp v3 configuration as the attachment. I have one question. Can I configure the same snmp context on all switches?? When some switches have all VLANs (for example 1-100), some switches have not all Vlans (for example 1-20, 60-100)?? Thank you

Roman

This config looks fine. Your view is a bit wide-open, though, and leaves you vulnerable to information disclosures. You should consider using the built-in "v1default" view instead.

As for contexts, you must configure the contexts available on each switch. Use "show snmp context" to see which contexts exist for a particular switch. However, you can configure contexts which do not exist.

Thank you for your help. I want to configure all snmp contexts for all VLANs, because my customer wants to add or remove vlans in a future. So when he will add VLANs he will not configure snmp contexts, because the contexts will be preconfigured by me:-) Roman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: