Too young to start CCNA?

Unanswered Question
Jan 13th, 2009

Well I'm about to graduate high school in a month or so.Am planing of pursuing a career in CCIE as my brother did.Am 18 yrs old,am I too young to start CCNA and what are the requirements to take up CCNA?

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Collin Clark Tue, 01/13/2009 - 10:26

You're not too young. Rumor is, there is a 17 year old with a CCIE. There are no age requirements for the CCNA and all you need is some initiative, good work ethic, and PMA (positive mental attitude). It sounds like you have a good mentor in your brother, he's already been through this.

Some useful CCNA info-

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/certifications/ccna?view=overview

Good luck.

try2shootme Wed, 01/14/2009 - 07:48

Thanks a lot....Just wondering how long does CCNA Security,CCSP and CCIE course take?

Collin Clark Wed, 01/14/2009 - 08:15

Depends on how you learn. Some people can read a book and retain that info forever. Some people need to do it before they can remember it. One of the most important things is to figure out how you learn and what it takes to remember the information. Once you have that figured out, it's simply entering the information into that process. Time lines are tough, a lot of it depends on experience (I'm assuming you have little to none), so you have a pretty steep learning curve ahead of you. Coming out of school everyone does so don't take that as a negative point. CCNA may take a year or two. Don't skimp here, know the basics/foundation inside and out. It will make further learning much easier. CSSP will take another year or two and hopefully you'll be getting some hands-on which will make it easier and a lot more fun. The CCIE is open ended. Maybe a year, maybe 10.

try2shootme Wed, 01/14/2009 - 09:06

Thanks a lot,I really mean it.Keeping my fingers crossed,waiting for another 3 months for graduation,then I'm off to a fresh start.

ccnagerald Tue, 01/13/2009 - 14:57

It's never too early to begin, if I had of known about CCNA when I was 18 I'd be a CCIE by now. Just study your butt off and get all the hands on you can get like volenteering for a church or school. Maybe your school will let you help out, I had a teacher who helped me, at the time I didn't think networking would be a valuable asset. But like I said get all the hands on you can, build a lab.

Actions

This Discussion