Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-deploy LAP

J2NoomSai_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am kind of new to LAP. We have WLC and LAPs are already setup for wireless Network. But we have to move one LAP to different location and VLAN. Can someone please let me know before I move LAP, what I need to do first?

Thanks in Advance.

Sai

7 Replies 7

SJessulat_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sai,

if You plan to move that LAP to a different controller, then i would suggest that You click on "Clear All Config" under Wireless -> . When the AP reboots, You just disconnect it and move it to the other location.

If you have the DNS and DHCP in the other location setup correctly and the AP is configured for DHCP, then that procedure isn't even necessary. The AP will just request an IP-address upon startup and get the controller name via an DHCP-option or DNS.

But You should check, if the AP is compliant to the country-code of the new location. E.g. You cannot move an -A-K9 Access-Point from USA to a WLC with -E-K9 Access Points like Europe.

Greets,

Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian, I plan to move different location to the same controller.

BEFORE you disconnect the AP and IF you can console into the AP, perform the following command:

lwapp ap controller ip address

What happens is that the AP will associate to the new WLC (and update the AP's internal database of the new information).

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

If you are just moving to another location on the same LAN, different VLAN, then just make sure the AP is not configured with a static IP address. (should be a check mark on the controller if it was set).

Anyhow, if the AP is DHCP and you are leaving it on the same controller/network then there shouldn't be a problem with it finding the controller again, as long as it gets a new address....

It sounds like from your previous post that by different location you just mean physically moving the AP to another switch on the same network....

Thanks All. I now successfully reloacted my LAP and can connect to WLC. But now I have another problem, my radio is off and it show Opertional Status is down for LAP. I tried ti find out info and try to do from CLI but did not success. Can someone please advise how to trun on radio? Before I relocated LAP and I tested, it work.

What is your power source?

I've seen AP's using pre-standard power (non 802.3af) or power injectors require the "pre-standard power" or "power-injector" state to be enabled else the AP will not power up the radio...

Thanks for quick reply. Yes, I have to check pre-standard power and now it's working.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: