cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP V3

Bruce Summers
Level 1
Level 1

Need a little help if anybody has encountered this...

Setting up SNMP v3 on Cat 6509 for monitoring usng CiscoWorks (RME/CM). Bare in mind, I have performed this 15 times prior to this one device.

Created the View, the Group (with ACL) and User. Using both Priv and Auth. After creation, attempted to perform an inventory of the device and it errors with authentication error (initially).

Reset the user priv/auth credentials, verified the ACL, reset the device credentials in CS then reran the inventory...Next error was simply "device collection failed".

After trying varying credential settings, decided to hit the forum / TAC to see if something else could be causing this issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bruce

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is an SNMP timeout reading the CISCO-FLASH-MIB. Try increasing the SNMP timeout for this device under RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices > Edit Device Attributes.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It would be helpful to see the SNMP config on this switch, as well as the version of software.

What application was reporting "device collection failed?" Was it RME?

config as follows:

snmp-server view readview internet included

snmp-server group CW_Read_Group v3 priv read readview access

snmp-server user CW_Read_Group v3 auth md5 priv des56

yes, RME was reporting "Device collection failed". I performed an SNMP Walk using OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2 and it works...however, it appears the OID for the switch (cat 6509 E)

maybe causing me a problem...the OID I've been trying to use is: .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.44 or .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.283

thanks

bruce

Please post the IC_Server.log.

Hey J, thanks for the response...Unfortunately, I'm new on the j.o.b here and I'm at a government facility, so I'm not sure about posting the entire log...so, I'll post the errors that I'm seeing in the log with debug mode on...

This error occurs when running the Update Inventory within Device Management

Bruce

This is an SNMP timeout reading the CISCO-FLASH-MIB. Try increasing the SNMP timeout for this device under RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices > Edit Device Attributes.

any recommended increase?? 5 seconds, 10 maybe??

Without seeing a sniffer trace, I cannot say. It's probably good to start at 10.

dropped to 10 secs and works fine as well...Let me ask you one final question. Is that setting the amount of "idle" time between the last time some "information" was provided to RME from the device, maybe a pause, and then the next time the info is passed to RME without timing out...

It is the time to wait between a single request and a single reply.

hmm...that implies I may have a communication problem between the LMS server and the switch (if I need to increase that interval)...

Not necessarily. The FLASH-MIB is notoriously bad when it comes to delays. The switch is most likely processing the request, and that processing time is causing RME to time out. It is not uncommon to increase SNMP timeouts on certain platforms to accommodate the FLASH-MIB.

roger that J

You once again have helped me out of a fix with RME that I was not familiar with...

appreciate it.

Bruce

dude..you're the man...i increased to 30 seconds and she's working now...

saw the timeout in the log, but wasnt sure what to do to correct it...thanks...

bruce

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco