AP is not showing up - Config issue on switch?

Unanswered Question
Jan 14th, 2009
User Badges:

We have been installing new AP's the past few days and are having an issue with one not showing up on the controller's web interface. If I plug the AP into another switch, it works fine. So I'm assuming it must be a config issue on the other switch. The problem is, I have copied the port config from the working switch to the non working switch and still no luck. Here is my working port config:

interface FastEthernet0/2

description WLAN_AP

switchport access vlan 30

switchport mode access

no ip address

mls qos trust dscp

spanning-tree portfast

Is there anything else I need to be looking for? Thanks.

-Ryan

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Wed, 01/14/2009 - 15:26
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Did you "prime" the AP on a different WLC prior to putting it into production?

If so, try the following CLI steps:

• DO NOT ALLOW THE AP TO JOIN THE WIRELESS LAN CONTROLLER.

• IF POSSIBLE, type the following commands on the problematic AP:

 clear lwapp private-config (This will bring the AP to factory default.);

 clear lwapp ap ip address

 clear lwapp ap hostname

 clear lwapp ap controller ip address

Let the AP connect to the Wireless LAN controller.

OPTIONAL

If an AP refuses to join the Wireless LAN Controller, type the following command from the AP:

lwapp ap controller ip address

laxcis Thu, 01/15/2009 - 05:53
User Badges:

Thanks. The AP though connects just fine to the WLC if it's connected via a different switch. But whenever it's connected to this switch, it does not connect. That's why I posted the port config of both switches. There must be something else on the switch I need to look at though.

jnelson00 Thu, 01/15/2009 - 06:31
User Badges:

What type of switch are you connecting the AP to? You could check to see if it's a bad port, ASIC, or cable drop.

laxcis Thu, 01/15/2009 - 10:11
User Badges:

I've tried two different switches in this same bldg and neither work. I've also tried different ports on the switches. Isn't there some port config that I may need to check? One is a Cisco POE 3550 and the other is a 2950.

ericgarnel Thu, 01/15/2009 - 13:25
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Is the vlan and/or subnet of the wlc management able to get to the building?

perhaps it is pruned out.

Leo Laohoo Thu, 01/15/2009 - 15:12
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

When you plug the AP to the switch, what are the logs on the AP? Can the AP ping the Management Interface?

laxcis Thu, 01/15/2009 - 18:54
User Badges:

Yes the WLC can get to that bldg because I have other AP's in that bldg that work just fine. How do I go about viewing the logs on the AP when I plug it into the switch? Sorry, never done that before, and not sure how. Thanks.

-Ryan

jnelson00 Thu, 01/15/2009 - 19:53
User Badges:

The AP may not be receiving it's IP Address/Mask/Gateway. Check that the VLAN's gateway (SVI) is set up appropriately on the switch or is reachable on the upstream switch.

laxcis Fri, 01/16/2009 - 05:53
User Badges:

Can you give me some ideas how I can check the VLAN's gateway on the switch? I am on the switch's CLI, but not sure how to do that part.

jnelson00 Tue, 01/20/2009 - 10:03
User Badges:

Use "Show ip interfaces brief"

You should see a VLAN interface which is the gateway for the VLAN the AP is on. Without the gateway you are on layer 2 but do not have layer 3 communication to the controller. Make sure it's the same number as you put on the interface using "switchport access vlan XX"

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network