cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Warranty Question

taelon_x7
Level 1
Level 1

This question is more for Cisco in general than a technical question but does anyone know if using an off brand compact flash card would void the warranty on a SUP module? We are about to do a major upgrade and I find it a little hard to swallow to pay over a grand for compact flash cards when a $14 CF card will do the same job.

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just as an FYI, the CF cards are of some special format (I don't remember what is special about it though) so a card from Wal-Mart probably won't work. Hopefully someone that remembers can chime in.

You are correct, they are formatted different than an off the shelf version but you can pop them in a SUP and format them; then they are ready for use.

It's something other than the formatting, I vaguely remember it being something about the way it uses XOR or XAND. It's a more reliable card. There are a couple of 3rd party cards which have the same spec (we have a couple of Vikings).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card