Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

***Routing is NSF Aware***

I have EIGRP, and when i do a SHOW IP PRO, i get that message.. Can someone help me figure out what is going on

9 Replies 9

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have NSF configured under EIGRP? NSF allows a router that is running EIGRP to assist NSF-capable neighbors to continue forwarding packets during a switchover operation or well-known failure condition. The EIGRP Nonstop Forwarding Awareness feature provides EIGRP with the capability to detect a neighbor that is undergoing an NSF restart event (route processor [RP] switchover operation) or well-known failure condition, maintain the peering session with this neighbor, retain known routes, and continue to forward packets for these routes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/configuration/guide/irp_eigrp_nsf_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1056068

HTH,

Mark

this message has been there for about 2 months now.. BUT I completed a switch upgrade and IOS upgrade on the new switch I added. So now each switch in the stack is on the same IOS. IS there anyway i can clear this message so i can see my EIGRP routing?

I'm not exactly sure what you are seeing. Could you please post the output that you are seeing?

Mark

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dustin

It is not anything to worry about. Have a look at this link which will explain EIGRP and NSF (Non Stop Forwarding) -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ft_ensf.html

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dustin,

that message just says your router is able to cooperate with a Non Stop Forwarding capable device.

NSF is a redundancy strategy that can be used on platforms with multiple supervisors like C7600 or GSRs:

in case of supervisor failure during switchover the device is capable to forward traffic (using the last updated CEF table)

so with NSF the neighbor device negotiates this feature and doesn't react to missing routing protocol hellos during switchover this means NSF aware otherwise the routes are declared invalid.

So no problem it is just a capability.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

this message has been there for about 2 months now.. BUT I completed a switch upgrade and IOS upgrade on the new switch I added. So now each switch in the stack is on the same IOS. IS there anyway i can clear this message so i can see my EIGRP routing?

Hello Dustin,

do you mean EIGRP is not working correctly ?

If EIGRP is working correctly you can simply ignore those lines.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

when i do a show run, nothing from EIGRP shows up like it used to.. Is there anything I can do?

Hello Dustin,

I'm afraid that you need to adapt to new sh run appearance.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco