Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Read only User

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Everyone,

Can someon tell me the command for createing a user on an ASA 5500 running 7.2(3) that can only view the config but not make any changes?

Thanks in advance! All replies rated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok , you must be missing this statement, try with that user after you enter this in asa and let me know.

aaa authorization command LOCAL

Additional reference for aaa authorization command

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/a1.html#wp1537175

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

You can use privilege level 5, this will allow to enable mode but it will not give config t access, nor clear xlates or any clear commands, it can however issue show and its subcommands including show run , same applies when using asdm.

create user in asa local database

asa(config)#username password priviledge 5

enable AAA to use ASA local user database

asa(config)#aaa authentication telnet console LOCAL

asa> en

Password: *******

asa#config t

^

ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ERROR: Command authorization failed

asa#clear xlate

ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ERROR: Command authorization failed

asa#

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks. I am not sure if access by SSH makes a difference but the user is using SSH and SSH is configured to authenticate to the local database but the user can still get to config t. I am running 7.2 if that makes a difference.

Add bellow statement , have you defined priviledge levels for that particular ssh user as indicated in my previous post.

aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008069bf1b.shtml

Jorge Rodriguez

Hello,

yes I do have the above listed statement and have defined the priviledge level as the first post said.

Thanks!

Ok , you must be missing this statement, try with that user after you enter this in asa and let me know.

aaa authorization command LOCAL

Additional reference for aaa authorization command

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/a1.html#wp1537175

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

That was it. Thanks! Just to make sure, this ASA is also authenticating users for VPN connections by pointing to the domain. This should not impact those users correct?

Thanks so much!!

Angel, it should not impact any VPN related authentication , this only pertains to authorization managing the ASA applience.

Glad it is resolved and thank you for rating.

regards

Jorge Rodriguez

goulin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just stumbled onto this post.  I was wondering if there was a generic command to allow access to all show commands, instead of individually having to specify them:

e.g. at the moment I have a Level 5 user who I want to have access to all show commands, but not configuration mode, and I have to manually specify each command:

privilege show level 5 mode exec command running-config

privilege show level 5 mode exec command log

Is there an equivalent of show * that I can add?

Thanks

akbansal@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While it is possible to expose a custom set of commands from ASA CLI for all its contexts as shown below, how do you ensure that the same for system CLI on ASA ? it doesn't seem to be having aaa commands available ?

Enable the use of local command privilege levels, which can be checked against the privilege level of users in the local database

asa/Management(config)# aaa authorization command LOCAL
asa/Management(config)# exit

Create a user with privilege level 5 in the local database 
asa/Management(config)# username <> password <> privilege 5

To view privilege levels
asa/Management# show curpriv 
Username : <>
Current privilege level : 5 

Current Mode/s : P_PRIV 

Example:

asa/Management(config)# privilege show level 5 command running-config

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card