Views
Helpful
Replies

2610 Router as voice gateway

rdianat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I have a 2610 router with a VWIC-2MFT-T1 card installed. The IOS is: c2600-jsx-mz.122-46a.bin

when I start the router, I see that the voice card is detected but then when I do a "show run" I do not see any voice port or interface etc. I can create dial-peer pots but I can not use any port command.

Do I need to run any special command to enable the router to see the voice card further? Do I need any additional module to install to support voice card?

The lines I see during start:

*Mar 1 00:00:05.028: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface VoIP-Null0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:00:12.027: SERVICE_MODULE(Serial0/0): self test finished: PassedUnknown WIC in slot(0/1), wic card has an unknown id of 0x3FC

Thanks,

rdianat

11 Replies 11

You probably do not have any DSPs. Check this with 'show voice dsp'.

You'll need a NM-HDV, or other card with onboard DSPs. Or, PVDM2-X.

Check out the DSP calculator:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/DSP/cisco_prodsel.pl

hth,

nick

Hey nic,

You are right int that I need a NM-HDV with DSPs. So I gave up on my 2610 and I am trying to set this up on a 3725 with a NM-HDV2. Now is there any requirement for DSP on 3725 even if I do not need transcoding? if yes where do I install the PVDM? I don't see any free slot in the NM-HDV2 or on the motherboard?

the 3725 router also does not detect my voice cards. Please see below:

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface VoIP-Null0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:00:36.159: SERVICE_MODULE(Serial0/0): self test finished: Passed

*Mar 1 00:00:38.255: SERVICE_MODULE(Serial0/1): self test finished: Passed

*Mar 1 00:00:39.259: %PA-2-UNDEFPA: Undefined Port Adaptor type 43 in bay 1

*Mar 1 00:00:45.211: %GUIDO-1-DAUGHTER_CARD_UNKNOWN: GUIDO in slot 2: VIC card in subslot 0 has an unkown id of 0x0.

*Mar 1 00:00:46.651: %GUIDO-1-DAUGHTER_CARD_FAILED: GUIDO in slot 2: VIC card in subslot 0 initialization failed.

and when I do "show diag" I see:

Slot 1:

Unknown (type 67) Port adapter

Port adapter is disabled

Thanks,

rdianat

Make sure you're on a recent version of code (12.3T or higher), and the version of code you're on has the ipvoice component:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5460/index.html

hth,

nick

Ok. Now I have c3725-jk9s2-mz.123-8.T11.bin which has the required voice features and I am getting no error and all my cards are recognized. I have inserted my VWIC-2MFT-T1 into WIC slot and it is being detected but I do not see any "controller T1" appearing in my configuration.

When I move the VWIC-2MFT-T1 into NM-HD-2V it is not being detected.

Here is the relevant part of my "sh diag"

WIC Slot 2:

T1E1 (2 port) WAN daughter card

Slot 2:

Voice NM-HD-2V (1 on-board DSP) Port adapter

Port adapter is analyzed

I am looking at HW compatibility matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800e73f6.shtml

and I understand that VWIC-2MFT-T1 is not supported in NM-HD-2V, and also VICs are not supported in chassis slots. So what is the solution? where can I use the VWIC-2MFT-T1 to work?

So I summarize:

IOS: 12.3.8T

cisco 3725

NM-HD-2V with on board DSP

VWIC-2MFT-T1

And my only goal is to have a working PRI interface?

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks,

rdianat

Yes, you need an NM-HDV to work with the VWIC2. Also a problem is that your 2610 is not XM so cannot take mem enough for later IOS.

Hi rdianat,

I would use this pdf, as it is unsurpassed in awesomeness:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routermodxref.pdf

As well, if you have a PVDM2-32 or higher on the motherboard of the 3725, you can remove the necessity of the NM-HDV (different from the NM-HD-2V). I know in the 28/3800, you can support the VWIC/VIC cards in the chassis slots. It's certainly worth a try.

hth,

nick

nick,

Yes, I agree the link you have sent is awesome. However by looking at the matrix, I see it is supporting all the components I have, but still I can not get a PRI showing up in my configs. May be I have to run a command or enable something?

I have a PVDM2-64, but there is no empty slot for DSP to install. I see only slots for DRAM and a compact flash. Am I missing something?

However my NM-HD-2V has on-board DSPs.

----------------------------FLEX VOICE CARD 2 ------------------------------

*DSP VOICE CHANNELS*

DSP DSP DSPWARE CURR BOOT PAK TX/RX

TYPE NUM CH CODEC VERSION STATE STATE RST AI VOICEPORT TS ABRT PACK COUNT

===== === == ======== ======= ===== ======= === == ========= == ==== ============

*DSP SIGNALING CHANNELS*

DSP DSP DSPWARE CURR BOOT PAK TX/RX

TYPE NUM CH CODEC VERSION STATE STATE RST AI VOICEPORT TS ABRT PACK COUNT

===== === == ======== ======= ===== ======= === == ========= == ==== ============

C5510 001 01 {flex} 4.3.27 alloc idle 0 0 2/1/0 02 0 36/0

C5510 001 02 {flex} 4.3.27 alloc idle 0 0 2/1/1 06 0 36/0

C5510 001 03 {flex} 4.3.27 alloc idle 0 0 2/1/2 10 0 36/0

C5510 001 04 {flex} 4.3.27 alloc idle 0 0 2/1/3 14 0 36/0

------------------------END OF FLEX VOICE CARD 2 ----------------------------

So is it that I require a NM-HDV to make it work and NM-HD-2V will not work?

thanks,

rdianat

Yes, as you have been said twice already :)

nick, bevilacqua,

Thanks a lot for your replies and help. Although this is not something I like to hear. (I do not have any NM-HDV and this is bad)

thanks,

rdianat

You're welcome rdianat. The thing is that not always we can expect to hear things we like. Good luck!

I believe the NM-HD-2V was designed to hold low-density VIC cards rather than the VWIC. This would be your problem.

Check out page 9 of this PDF:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/ps282/prodlit/guido_ds.pdf

You would need the NM-HD-2VE for VWIC support.

hth,

nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: