Views
Helpful
Replies

2610 Router as voice gateway

rdianat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I have a 2610 router with a VWIC-2MFT-T1 card installed. The IOS is: c2600-jsx-mz.122-46a.bin

when I start the router, I see that the voice card is detected but then when I do a "show run" I do not see any voice port or interface etc. I can create dial-peer pots but I can not use any port command.

Do I need to run any special command to enable the router to see the voice card further? Do I need any additional module to install to support voice card?

The lines I see during start:

*Mar 1 00:00:05.028: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface VoIP-Null0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:00:12.027: SERVICE_MODULE(Serial0/0): self test finished: PassedUnknown WIC in slot(0/1), wic card has an unknown id of 0x3FC

Thanks,

rdianat

11 Replies 11

You probably do not have any DSPs. Check this with 'show voice dsp'.

You'll need a NM-HDV, or other card with onboard DSPs. Or, PVDM2-X.

Check out the DSP calculator:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/DSP/cisco_prodsel.pl

hth,

nick

Hey nic,

You are right int that I need a NM-HDV with DSPs. So I gave up on my 2610 and I am trying to set this up on a 3725 with a NM-HDV2. Now is there any requirement for DSP on 3725 even if I do not need transcoding? if yes where do I install the PVDM? I don't see any free slot in the NM-HDV2 or on the motherboard?

the 3725 router also does not detect my voice cards. Please see below:

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface VoIP-Null0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:00:36.159: SERVICE_MODULE(Serial0/0): self test finished: Passed

*Mar 1 00:00:38.255: SERVICE_MODULE(Serial0/1): self test finished: Passed

*Mar 1 00:00:39.259: %PA-2-UNDEFPA: Undefined Port Adaptor type 43 in bay 1

*Mar 1 00:00:45.211: %GUIDO-1-DAUGHTER_CARD_UNKNOWN: GUIDO in slot 2: VIC card in subslot 0 has an unkown id of 0x0.

*Mar 1 00:00:46.651: %GUIDO-1-DAUGHTER_CARD_FAILED: GUIDO in slot 2: VIC card in subslot 0 initialization failed.

and when I do "show diag" I see:

Slot 1:

Unknown (type 67) Port adapter

Port adapter is disabled

Thanks,

rdianat

Make sure you're on a recent version of code (12.3T or higher), and the version of code you're on has the ipvoice component:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5460/index.html

hth,

nick

Ok. Now I have c3725-jk9s2-mz.123-8.T11.bin which has the required voice features and I am getting no error and all my cards are recognized. I have inserted my VWIC-2MFT-T1 into WIC slot and it is being detected but I do not see any "controller T1" appearing in my configuration.

When I move the VWIC-2MFT-T1 into NM-HD-2V it is not being detected.

Here is the relevant part of my "sh diag"

WIC Slot 2:

T1E1 (2 port) WAN daughter card

Slot 2:

Voice NM-HD-2V (1 on-board DSP) Port adapter

Port adapter is analyzed

I am looking at HW compatibility matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800e73f6.shtml

and I understand that VWIC-2MFT-T1 is not supported in NM-HD-2V, and also VICs are not supported in chassis slots. So what is the solution? where can I use the VWIC-2MFT-T1 to work?

So I summarize:

IOS: 12.3.8T

cisco 3725

NM-HD-2V with on board DSP

VWIC-2MFT-T1

And my only goal is to have a working PRI interface?

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks,

rdianat

Yes, you need an NM-HDV to work with the VWIC2. Also a problem is that your 2610 is not XM so cannot take mem enough for later IOS.

Hi rdianat,

I would use this pdf, as it is unsurpassed in awesomeness:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routermodxref.pdf

As well, if you have a PVDM2-32 or higher on the motherboard of the 3725, you can remove the necessity of the NM-HDV (different from the NM-HD-2V). I know in the 28/3800, you can support the VWIC/VIC cards in the chassis slots. It's certainly worth a try.

hth,

nick

nick,

Yes, I agree the link you have sent is awesome. However by looking at the matrix, I see it is supporting all the components I have, but still I can not get a PRI showing up in my configs. May be I have to run a command or enable something?

I have a PVDM2-64, but there is no empty slot for DSP to install. I see only slots for DRAM and a compact flash. Am I missing something?

However my NM-HD-2V has on-board DSPs.

----------------------------FLEX VOICE CARD 2 ------------------------------

*DSP VOICE CHANNELS*

DSP DSP DSPWARE CURR BOOT PAK TX/RX

TYPE NUM CH CODEC VERSION STATE STATE RST AI VOICEPORT TS ABRT PACK COUNT

===== === == ======== ======= ===== ======= === == ========= == ==== ============

*DSP SIGNALING CHANNELS*

DSP DSP DSPWARE CURR BOOT PAK TX/RX

TYPE NUM CH CODEC VERSION STATE STATE RST AI VOICEPORT TS ABRT PACK COUNT

===== === == ======== ======= ===== ======= === == ========= == ==== ============

C5510 001 01 {flex} 4.3.27 alloc idle 0 0 2/1/0 02 0 36/0

C5510 001 02 {flex} 4.3.27 alloc idle 0 0 2/1/1 06 0 36/0

C5510 001 03 {flex} 4.3.27 alloc idle 0 0 2/1/2 10 0 36/0

C5510 001 04 {flex} 4.3.27 alloc idle 0 0 2/1/3 14 0 36/0

------------------------END OF FLEX VOICE CARD 2 ----------------------------

So is it that I require a NM-HDV to make it work and NM-HD-2V will not work?

thanks,

rdianat

Yes, as you have been said twice already :)

nick, bevilacqua,

Thanks a lot for your replies and help. Although this is not something I like to hear. (I do not have any NM-HDV and this is bad)

thanks,

rdianat

You're welcome rdianat. The thing is that not always we can expect to hear things we like. Good luck!

I believe the NM-HD-2V was designed to hold low-density VIC cards rather than the VWIC. This would be your problem.

Check out page 9 of this PDF:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/ps282/prodlit/guido_ds.pdf

You would need the NM-HD-2VE for VWIC support.

hth,

nick