cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIC-4ESW as WAN

snooter
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 1751 acting as our main gateway. At the moment it has two WIC-T1 cards, multi-interfaced.

Now, we're doing away with our 2xT1 for a 10MB fiber link. The fiber will be terminated and delivered to our equipment via the standard RJ-45. So, that's why I'm looking to get the WIC-4ESW since I'll need another port on our 1751 to terminate the connection to the fiber.

I've never used a WIC-4ESW, or anything of the sort to add more Ethernet ports to a router. My intentions are to use one of the four ports on this card as the link to our WAN. So, it'll have a private IP assigned to it. Even though it's an addon module, I can still assign an IP address to each port on it right?

Second question, I read a few posts online, and that beings this card is a layer 3 device, that I can't expect it to run at a 10MB level even though it's a 10/100MB link because of the routers processor. Is this correct? Should I be looking at something else instead of this four port card for terminating a high-speed WAN connection?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 1751's max throughput is 6.14Mbps (CEF), so you'll probably want to look at a larger router. The 1800 series should work well in your case. If you add an HWIC-4ESW, the ports are strictly layer 2 ports! You create VLANs in the router and assign the port to the VLAN. You now have another interface albeit virtual.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

He might have gotten it from this reference.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 1751's max throughput is 6.14Mbps (CEF), so you'll probably want to look at a larger router. The 1800 series should work well in your case. If you add an HWIC-4ESW, the ports are strictly layer 2 ports! You create VLANs in the router and assign the port to the VLAN. You now have another interface albeit virtual.

Hope that helps.

Wow, that's good to know! I wasn't aware that the 1751's max was 6.14MB. So, if I go with a 1841 http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=698140 - that'll allow us to get up to 10MB you say?

Collin, where did you find that 6.14 Mbps (CEF) info at? I'm trying to find it..

He might have gotten it from this reference.

Did not even now that was available, it will definitely save time looking through data sheets, thanks.

That is where i got it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card