cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP Conversion of 1252 AP failing

c.fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I am having trouble performing a simple autonomous to lwapp conversion on a 1252 .11n AP. It is the LWAPP model number, but of course it shipped with Autonomous code on it. So I have to convert.

I have version 3.4 of upgrade tool. I create the flat file with the one AP in it and enter all the necessary information. I use the upgrade tool TFTP server and navigate/select the image file: exact file is -> "c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar". When I select upgrade I get an error indicating the recovery image is not a valid one.

Does anyone know what I am missing here? Can someone outline the steps? This is my first conversion attempt as I have been running 1000 Series APs for the past 3 years.

Thanks

Chuck

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you need to convert from LWAPP to Autonomous, try this ...

Requirements:

• Image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

• AP is connected to the Wireless LAN Controller; and

• AP can ping the TFTP server where the image is located.

Procedures:

1. Find out what AP needs to be converted from LWAPP to Autonomous mode by entering the following command:

sh ap summary

2. Enter the following CLI command on the Wireless LAN Controller:

config ap tftp-downgrade

3. The AP will download the software and after a reboot, the AP will be on Autonomous mode.

NOTE: Can you please put a "tick" that your issue has been resolved?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's possible the 3.4 tool does not recognize the image you are trying to use. But, thankfully it's a 1252, so it definitely has a MIC. Try the following:

archive download-sw /f /0 tftp:///c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.123010b.JA3.tar

if that doesn't work, pull the JDA image and try it again

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try this:

Autonomous to LWAPP (Shortcut)

Requirements:

• Image file (The recovery file has the prefix “rcv” in the image name, such as c1200-rcvk9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

Procedure

1. Copy the recovery file to the AP using the following command:

archive tar /x tftp:/// flash:

2. Let the AP boot on this image:

boot system flash://.bin

3. Reboot the AP.

OPTIONAL

• DO NOT ALLOW THE AP TO JOIN THE WIRELESS LAN CONTROLLER.

• IF POSSIBLE, type the following commands:

 clear lwapp private-config (This will bring the AP to factory default.);

 clear lwapp ap ip address

 clear lwapp ap hostname

 clear lwapp ap controller ip address

4. Let the AP connect to the Wireless LAN controller.

OPTIONAL

If an AP refuses to join the Wireless LAN Controller, type the following command from the AP:

lwapp ap controller ip address

Hello my friends. Here is what got the job done.

archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://10.25.14.100/c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar

This downloaded the .tar file, extracted the components, changed the necessary boot command and reloaded the router. It came up in LWAPP mode and is associated to my controller.

So does this mean the upgrade tool is not necessary at all? That I can just use the CLI? The tool would seem useful for upgrading groups of APs. But for whatever reason I could not get it to work with just one.

Thanks for the responses. They were helpful and led to the solution.

One last confirmation, so now that the AP is in LWAPP mode, there should be no reason to enter CLI for anything, except maybe if I wanted to convert back to autonomous? Correct? Thanks.

Regards

the tool, is useful for upgrading multiple AP, that is true. It also will have the AP generate the SSC, if needed, and write it to the Controller. For any newer AP, those manufactured after July 2005, they will have a MIC, and you will not need to use the tool.

Correct, once the AP is in LWAPP mode, there really is no need to access the CLI. There are remote debugs that can be run from the controller to access the AP if necessary, usually you'll be troubleshooting with TAC, when you do this, but not necessarily.

The best way to change an AP back to IOS mode, is to use the mode button option. You can find this documented in the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I'm going to get into trouble with this response ...

I've noticed that I get a richer result/response when I do CLI. I've also noticed that when I used the GUI Upgrade Tool, it doesn't work most of the time. All I do is cut-n-paste the commands onto a wordpad and I can do the conversion to a number.

Whatever floats your boat, really. If you feel comfortable using the CLI, then by all means, feel free to use it.

But I tend to use both CLI and GUI.

Well based on what I have discovered here my plan is to use AP CLI for converting back and forth between LWAPP/Autonomous (which should not be that often). It'll mostly be to get an AP to LWAPP, unless I have to convert back to IOS Autonomous mode for a WGB need.

All other AP configuration/operations will be done from the controller.

I also will uninstall the upgrade tool from my PC. It's was useless.

Thanks again for all the information folks. Much appreciated.

If you need to convert from LWAPP to Autonomous, try this ...

Requirements:

• Image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

Procedures:

1. Find out what AP needs to be converted from LWAPP to Autonomous mode by entering the following command:

sh ap summary

2. Enter the following CLI command on the Wireless LAN Controller:

config ap tftp-downgrade

3. The AP will download the software and after a reboot, the AP will be on Autonomous mode.

NOTE: Can you please put a "tick" that your issue has been resolved?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: