Views
Helpful
Replies

Extreme Packet Loss 6509

jmoss1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have a 6509 running 12.2(17d)SXB11 with a strange error

A LES 100mb circuit is plugged into port gi4/48 L3 (copper) when utilisation of this hits 100% it causes extreme packet loss on ports gi1/48 and gi1/41 which are completely un-realted (one is another LES circuit 100mb copper L3 link and one is to a server in the same room 1000mb L2).

has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? I guess it could be a hardware fault but all reports and logs show no fault.

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jonathan,

depending on the line card model groups of ports share some hardware resources (ASIC chips).

In your case may be groups of 8 ports of the same 48 GE 10/100/1000 linecard use the same ASIC.

This could explain the relation between ports g1/48 and g1/41

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks for your response Giuseppe, the card is SFM-capable 48 port 10/100/1000mb RJ45 WS-X6548-GE-TX

do you know if that one shares the ASIC chips?

also why would performance on module 4 effect module 1?

they are all the same type of module

Hello Jason,

>> also why would performance on module 4 effect module 1?

I took the two ports as being on the same linecard !

Sorry for this, they should be unrelated but I see you are doing some form of circuit emulation what do you mean with LES ?

this can create a link between the ports the feature may allocate buffers or queues that are shared and when one link is full other frames wait to be transmitted filling these resources. (just a guess)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi, LES is just a name for a leased circuit in Great Britain sorry if that's confused.

I've got TAC on this one so i'll speak to them, thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: