cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 881 with Cellular as primary route, ethernet secondary

anthonyp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am currently searching for a method to use an Ethernet interfaces as a backup route to a primary Cellular connection. The catch is that the FastEthernet port needs to enabled/disabled based on Cellular signal strength. Alternatively the Ethernet device attached to the FE has the ability to receive AT commands for connection control. This may be possible with TCL or other methods. If anyone can assist either options or source of TCL information, this will be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think I see what's happening. IT looks like you didn't re-register the script. Once you've copied the new script onto flash, be sure you do:

no event manager policy tm_cellular_watch.tcl

event manager policy tm_cellular_watch.tcl

As for an editor, I use vim on FreeBSD. However, there is a very full-featured IDE for EEM from Nidus Software (http://www.nidussoft.com/).

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This sounds like a very feasible thing for the Embedded Event Manager to do. What version of IOS is this device running? Exactly what steps would need to be done, and under what exact conditions?

Thanks for the reply Joe. The device is currently running IOS version 12.4(20)T although I am currently looking at any added benefits of 12.4(22)T.

In order for my system to work correctly I need to either shut or unshut FastEthernet 4 OR send AT commands via FastE4 when Cellular coverage is not avaliable.

At this time the only way that I can find this information is issuing the CLI command "show cellular 0 network" and looking at the "Current Service Status".

I have looked at trying to use EEM although at this time have not succeeded in creating a log entry when the cellular network status changes.

What does the "show cellular 0 network" look like when the connection is healthy, and when it is not? How do you send the AT commands?

HEALTHY

-------

Router#show cellular 0 network

Current Service Status = Normal, Service Error = None

Current Service = Combined

Packet Service = UMTS/WCDMA (Attached)

Packet Session Status = Inactive

Current Roaming Status = Home

Network Selection Mode = Automatic

Country = AUS, Network = Telstra

Mobile Country Code (MCC) = 505

Mobile Network Code (MNC) = 1

Location Area Code (LAC) = 30800

Routing Area Code (RAC) = 1

Cell ID = 6332

Primary Scrambling Code = 497

PLMN Selection = Automatic

Registered PLMN = , Abbreviated =

Service Provider = Telstra

Router#

NOT HEALTHY

-----------

Router#show cellular 0 network

Current Service Status = No service, Service Error = None

Current Service = Combined

Packet Service = None

Packet Session Status = Inactive

Current Roaming Status = Home

Network Selection Mode = Automatic

Country = AUS, Network = Telstra

Mobile Country Code (MCC) = 505

Mobile Network Code (MNC) = 1

Location Area Code (LAC) = 30800

Routing Area Code (RAC) = 1

Cell ID = 6332

Primary Scrambling Code = 0

PLMN Selection = Automatic

Router#

In regards to sending AT commands, this is the second component that I have been unable to resolve. If the coonection was to a serial modem connection via serial I would use the "chat-script" command. Is it possible to send AT modem type commands via ethernet?

Is it possible to create a TCL script to run every X minutes (5 for example) which will issue a CLI command, look for a described response and based on the response issue other CLI commands such as shut or no shut of an interface?

If this is possible the method may be to use TCL to identify if cellular network is present and then control the ethernet interface accordingly.

This EEM policy should do what you want. To register it, first decide where on the device you want to store your EEM policies. If your device's flash supports creating directoies, I recommend you create a policies directory:

mkdir flash:policies

Then copy the tm_cellular_watch.tcl file to that directory. If not, then copy the tm_cellular_watch.tcl to the root of your flash file system.

Next, configure IOS to point to this location to find EEM Tcl policies:

Router(config)#event manager directory user policy flash:policies

Next, set the two required environment variables. See the comments in the script for what they are. For example:

Router(config)#event manager environment cellular_interface 0

Router(config)#event manager environment cellular_noshut_interface FastEthernet0

Finally, register the policy:

Router(config)#event manager policy tm_cellular_watch.tcl

The policy is untested as I don't have a cellular device, but it should do what you want.

Thanks for your help thus far. This code appears to be working correctly. I am currently looking at the code in closer detail to add an extra step for which I may need to ask for further assistance.

Is it possible to change the code to shut the interface if the cellular network is avaliable. As the shut command should only be applied if network is avaliable I wouild predict that it will appear after

if { $status == "Normal" || $status == $prev_state } {

set prev_state $status

catch { context_save CELLULARCTXT prev_state } errmsg

return -code ok

Additionally, does this script run every 300 seconds regardless of previous attempt. If I am correct the first line in the tcl sets this?

This version should do what you want.

Yes, the script runs every 300 seconds. If the previous status is the same as the current status, the script simply exits.

The script seems to stop prior to issuing the cli commands. At the moment I have managed to shut the interface by forcing the Cellular to loose conectivity and this therfore shut the interface although now that the Cellular has returned to normal the "shut" command is still not being applied.

Is there a way to debug TCL scripts to see exactly what is occuring?

It could be that the service string isn't exactly "Normal". You can enable "debug event manager tcl cli_library" to see what is going on.

Looking at the debug, the below appears to be the critical component. Is there a recommened script editor so I can play around with different options?

: Router#show cellular 0 network | include Current Service Status

*Jan 16 05:34:44.051: %HA_EM-6-LOG: tm_cellular_watch.tcl : DEBUG(cli_lib) : OUT

: Current Service Status = Normal, Service Error = None

*Jan 16 05:34:44.051: %HA_EM-6-LOG: tm_cellular_watch.tcl : DEBUG(cli_lib) : OUT

: Router#

*Jan 16 05:34:44.051: %HA_EM-6-LOG: tm_cellular_watch.tcl : DEBUG(cli_lib) : CTL

: cli_close called.

I think I see what's happening. IT looks like you didn't re-register the script. Once you've copied the new script onto flash, be sure you do:

no event manager policy tm_cellular_watch.tcl

event manager policy tm_cellular_watch.tcl

As for an editor, I use vim on FreeBSD. However, there is a very full-featured IDE for EEM from Nidus Software (http://www.nidussoft.com/).

Thankyou for all of your assistance. It appears that I had two issues. First, you correctly identified that I had not re-registered the script.Additionally, as the code issues commands based on previous code I had to revert everything to a normal operation to start the process correctly before taking the unit out/in of cellular coverage.

Thanks agin, solution now working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: