cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Seed File update LMS 3.1

sirbaughmf
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to automate a way to update the cdp seed file entry. I have a script that runs on LMS2.6 that updates the DeviceDiscovery.properties with entries changed in the servers hosts file.

With version 3.1 it doesn't appear that this file is used, instead it looks like an XML file is generated (which I've been seeing issues with, another conversation). Can you tell me a little more about that XML file and how it gets generated, is there a place on the server side that I can update the seed instead of going through the GUI?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The CSDiscovery-config.xml file under the job ID directory in NMSROOT/objects/csdiscovery.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The XML file is generated by adjusting the Discovery settings under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Discovery. The file is NMSROOT/conf/csdiscovery/CSDiscovery-config.xml. This file is used for ad hoc Discoveries, but not when Discovery is scheduled, as different jobs may use different settings.

While I don't recommend modifying this file directly, you could certainly do it provided you do not corrupt the syntax. CDP seeds are added as sub-elements of the CDP Module element. A seed device imported from Campus Discovery would look like:

Ok, thanks. What file is used for scheduled discoveries?

The CSDiscovery-config.xml file under the job ID directory in NMSROOT/objects/csdiscovery.

One last question: After several days I've gone back to take a look at the seed file entries, CDP seeds look good, and the Global entries that I deleted have returned, are the global seeds kept in a different location? I see them in the CSDiscovery-config.xml file under /conf/csdiscovery, but I didn't put them back in there....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco