cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

directory handler character limit?

davidgoude
Level 1
Level 1

I have a weird issue with a Unity (5.x) directory handler. I had a user report that her name wasn't working, so I went through all the normal stuff - Recorded Name, list in directory is checked, etc.

When I attempted to dial her name - it worked. I was only using her first name and she stated she used first and last. (we are set up for first then last, btw). It turns out that the handler works just fine if you use any amount of letters in her name up until the LAST letter?? If you spell her entire first and entire last name - it comes back with the 'no matching name' message. If I use the entire first name and the entire last name, minus the last letter - it works beautifully. It also works with any decreasing amount of characters from that point.

Her name happens to be 17 characters long, so I didn't know if there was any length restrictions in place or what it may be. Has anyone seen or heard this before?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think there are name length restrictions - I can check - but the thing to look at next is the vw_subscriber view in the database (you can use CUDLE for this found in your tools depot).

The two columns in there are calld DTMFFirstName and DTMFLastName I believe - these are the digit representations of the first and last names - I'd be interested what they are compared to the firstName and LastName (text characters) fields. If their lengths don't match, it'd be interesting to try and change the first and/or last name (just tack on a test character or two), refresh the DB (move off the vw_subscriber table and move back) and then check it again - it could be that there's a "junk" character at the end or something throwing it off...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think there are name length restrictions - I can check - but the thing to look at next is the vw_subscriber view in the database (you can use CUDLE for this found in your tools depot).

The two columns in there are calld DTMFFirstName and DTMFLastName I believe - these are the digit representations of the first and last names - I'd be interested what they are compared to the firstName and LastName (text characters) fields. If their lengths don't match, it'd be interesting to try and change the first and/or last name (just tack on a test character or two), refresh the DB (move off the vw_subscriber table and move back) and then check it again - it could be that there's a "junk" character at the end or something throwing it off...

Ahh - found it. It is a 16 character limit in the database:

Column: DtmfNameFirstLast

Datatype: varchar

Length: 16

Description: First name of user, converted to dtmf's for phone searching

Here is the field values with //placed between the names. You can see where it is cutting the last character off.

DTMFFirstLast=783742643//6236625

DTMFLastFirst=62366253//78374264

Makes sense, at least now I know the answer. thanks!

ah - well that makes sense anyway - although I'm not sure why that field would be so strict since the first/last name combo allows for so much more - I'll ping the DB crew to see if there's some specific reason for that. they may just have assumed that no one would ever spell more than 16 characters when looking for someone in the directory I suppose...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: