cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940 lobby phone setup as two speed dials only

jonesl1
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have Call manager 6.1 (linux based) with a Publsher and Subscriber sitting in our cluster.

I am attempting to set up a 7940 (2 button) phone in a lobby type area. I want only the two buttonson the phone to work as speed dials would, but I can't seem to setup a phone button template for a 7940 phone with only two speed dials and no real line presence. Does anyone know how to go about this? I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance,

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Larry,

Sadly, this will not be possible with a 7940 (or any 2 Button phone) The problem is that the phones needs dialtone to complete a Speeddial and this comes from Line 1. You will see (or you may have already) that when you go to create a new Button Template, that Line 1 is a must and is not configurable**

Button template for Cisco 7940,Cisco 7940 (2 buttons)

Button Template Name*

Button Feature Label

1 Line**

2 Speed Dial

* indicates required item

** this button's feature is not configurable

You would need an IP Phone like a 7960/7961/7965 to accomplish this request.

Hope this helps!

Rob

I was afraid I might hear this answer. Oh well! Thanks for replying Rob! I appreciate the help.

Then what if he was to setup intercom/auto-call under the DN for line ? These are CME terms not sure how they are called in CM.

I don't even get the logic why with a six buttons phone it would be possible ?

Hey Paolo,

Hope all is well my friend. You never responded to my welcome back last weekend ...so, welcome back!!

The reason this would be possible with a 6 button phone is that Line 1 would be a DN/Line and then 2-6 could be Speeddials "hard-coded" against the applicable Line buttons.

Hope this makes some sense buddy!

Rob

All well Rob, thanks and happy to see you again :)

Yet I don't see how it would be different :)

Hey Paolo,

Obviously I can't explain this too well :(

What Larry wanted was a 7940 that looked like this (2 - Hard-coded Speedial Buttons)

Button 1 - Speeddial to xxxx

Button 2 - Speeddial to yyyy

**But in CUCM Button 1 has to be a Line/DN it cannot be anything else.

So what I was suggesting was that the only way to get this to work would be to use a 6 Button phone like a 7960;

Button 1 - Line/DN

Button 2 - Speeddial to xxxx

Button 3 - Speeddial to yyyy

Hope this makes some sense!

Rob

Yes but my point was that the OP doesn't want Button1 to be Line/DN at all, just speed-dials. He wanted the choice of using two buttons only, because that is the number of valid destination he can reach from that phone.

Kind of tricky despite apparent simplicity, as you then have to CSS to let the phone dial via speedbuttons only.

Hi Paolo,

I understood what Larry was trying to do but wasn't thinking of any way to accomplish this using Speeddials. +5 points for tweaking my small brain onto how this could be done!

I just tried this in the lab to verify that this works :)

You can setup two DN's one for line 1 and one for line 2. Make sure the Device CSS is set to none and then follow the steps in the doc below to setup these two lines to "HotDial" to the required destinations.

Hotdial on IP Phones with CallManager Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a0080232b9f.shtml#intro

Hope this helps!

Rob

Exactly, that is what I was suggesting as autodial (a CME term), so it's you that deserve the rating not me!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: