cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to administer Cisco router 2650 XM

snooplinux
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I'm a newbie with a Cisco router that I got from my job and i'll like to reset it and log in to the console and start messing around with it.

I have the cables to connect to the console and i have my laptop, now all i need to know is what to do next, Do i have to download a software to be able to administer the router or do i need to open a command line????

Please help.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You'll need to check what COM port was assigned to the USB adapter (device manager in Windows). Once you know the COM port number, that will be the one you enter in hyper terminal. I've attached a couple of screen shots for you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Once you connect the router to your laptop, use the hyperterminal application to get access to the CLI. Here's a doc on the settings you will need to use in hyperterminal.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094465.shtml

Hope that helps.

Hi and thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately when i tried to input all the settings i don't see any option for USB input. i'm using a USB to Serial Adapter and i only see COM1-6 a few other modem options.

Is there a work around this or is there another free software with gui that i could use from cisco?

Thanks

If i understand correctly you need to select the relevant COM port and then you will get the options in the link that Collin sent.

So fire up hyperterminal, give it a name, select the COM port and then you should get the window in Collin's link.

Jon

You'll need to check what COM port was assigned to the USB adapter (device manager in Windows). Once you know the COM port number, that will be the one you enter in hyper terminal. I've attached a couple of screen shots for you.

Thanks for your help, that did it. Now I'll just need to get information on the different commands. I'll google that. thanks once again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card