Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5510 capabilities?

oliver.dujua
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not very good at navigating through documents on this website but can someone tell me if the Cisco ASA 5510 can be used as a router and firewall OR if there is a link on its documentation. I appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Oliver

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oliver

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/index.html

To look at Cisco products - along the top of the homepage "Products & Services" and from there drill down to the product you are interested in.

To answer your question an ASA can route but this is not it's primary purpose and a router has a much fuller feature set in terms of routing.

Bear in mind that most routers can also run a firewall feature set so you really need to decide what the primary purpose of your device is.

Each device will be optimised for it's purpose.

Jon

Thanks Jon for the link and your response. If I would like to setup a network with focus on routing with firewall capability, which Cisco router product would you recommend? And if vice versa, which cisco firewall would you suggest?

Again, thanks for your expert inputs!

Oliver

Oliver

The 1800 or 2800 ISR routers would be worth considering. If you do decide to go with a router make sure you order the correct feature set so that you get the firewall.

It's difficult to say for sure which way to go. A lot depends on the size of your current network and the future expected growth. If all you need is very basic routing then an ASA could handle what you need. Other factors are things like QOS (Quality of Service) where a router will be more fully featured than an ASA.

When you say you have a focus on routing what are you envisaging ?

Jon

Thanks for your recommendations. We will be setting up the network where we have 2 routes: (default) route A will be the Internet and route B will be the Point to Point direct connection to our offsite servers. We would need firewall capabilities to filter Internet traffic but at the same time have the capability of routing.

You definitely want an ISR then. I administer two networks with similar configuration and the ISR is great. Most of the ISRs also include the IPS and content filtering services found on the ASAs.

I am looking at the capabilities of the 1811 and it seems this will fit the requirements. Thanks!

why not 1841, for future sake

Dak

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card