Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP set community prepend issue

Jesse Hottle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to prepend out routes using one of my upstream providers. I was told by the ISP that I needed to do this using a set community command. In order to prepend routes to this ISP i was instructed to use as example 1234:XXX (where 1234:2 would prepend 2 times, 1234:3 three times, etc.

I added set community 1234:2 to my out going route map, but now my config shows the following:

set community 283312130 and therefore my routes are not prepending out this ISP connection.

Any one seen this before or am I just doing something incorrectly?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jesse,

You need to use the "ip bgp-community new-format" in order to see the community in the format.

The reason the prepending is not taking place has nothing to do with this though. You need to configure "neighbor x.x.x.x send-community" for the community to be sent to the peer (upstream provider in this case). Setting it in the route-map alone will not do it.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jesse,

You need to use the "ip bgp-community new-format" in order to see the community in the format.

The reason the prepending is not taking place has nothing to do with this though. You need to configure "neighbor x.x.x.x send-community" for the community to be sent to the peer (upstream provider in this case). Setting it in the route-map alone will not do it.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México