cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS and Access Points

don.click1
Level 4
Level 4

we are currently using WCS version 5.0.56.2.

I have about 80 AP's that we added when we converted from Autonomous to LWAPP.

Today, i see a new AP in the list that I didnt add - it stands out because the name is so different from our naming standard, and its not "associated" with the controller.

My question is this - why would WCS see that as a "valid" AP instead of a rouge? Is it common for WCS to add an AP automatically if it is "LWAPP" enabled? I thought we had to actually import the device?

The AP appears to be a Cisco AP (by the mac address database search) AND shows to be using LWAPP. It currently seems to be shutdown/offline, so im having a hard time actually finding the thing. Also, I do not see this ap listed on any of my controllers (which i am not really suprised by - since its not "associated".)

Any advice welcome.

8 Replies 8

sschmidt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the name that you see on WCS? Something similar to APxxxxxx?

No - its showing up as "Sparks-1". Our naming standard is to use the Building abbreviation-floor-AP-# so, JAC-6-AP-1 would be the 1st ap on the 6th floor of building JAC.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why would WCS see that as a "valid" AP instead of a rouge?

Because the AP is PLUGGED into your wired network.

Interesting. I guess im confused on how the AP could be in WCS, but not on any of the controllers.

I have since deleted the device from WCS, so if it shows up again, i might have a better chance of finding.

Is there way to have WCS email me when a new AP is added?

Try to "track" the Rogue AP down to the switch port and disable it.

If anyone screams, then you'll know what it's all about.

talmadari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

First of all you can search in the WCS which AP's sees this "valid" AP.

Is it possiable that while converting from autonomous to LWAPP something got wrong and this AP didn't get the x509 certificate as needed and due to that he fails to register correctly to the WLC?

Cheers,

We determined whos AP it was. While it is a friendly, it was installed wrong. My main concern is how WCS and AP were able to find each other and get added.

WCS shows any AP that associated with a controller. Not just the APs that are currently associated.

So the simplest explanation is that the AP in question temporarily registered with one of your controllers, and therefor WCS added it to the database.

With that said, APs automatically register with controllers. So anyone could bring in an AP, plug it in, auto register (assuming DHCP/DNS/ or any other method of controller discovery) and then even if they remove the AP forever more, the AP will still be listed in WCS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: