Views
Helpful
Replies

6500/4500 with IOS: Faulty config moduile download to different module

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

On 6500/4500 with IOS, incase if one of the module goes faulty , is there a way to download the faulty module config to module in the other slot..?

ex: Mod#3 goes bad and there is new module in slot#6. Is there commnd to force download Mod#3 config to Mod#6?

(This is helpful incase if it hard to replace Mod 3).

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

MS

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

MS

I'm not aware of a way to do this. Assuming the module is the same module type with the same number of ports etc. you have 3 choices

1) Cut and paste from the running config, modifying the slot/port number

2) swap the modules over

3) manually configure the new module.

Can't think of any other way to do it. Others may have better suggestions.

Jon

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

MS,

The easiest way in doing this is taking the current config and in notepad replace the module numbers in the config and paste them back into the switch. I don't know of more automated way in doing this.

HTH,

Mark

Thank you both.I went through the 'notepad' exercide before. Thought, there might be some commands Cisco might have introdulced in latest IOS releases that allows this in more speedy way.;-)

Thanks again

MS

If most if the interfaces will be configured closely you could use the "interface range" command.

Mark

Actually this is where something like "vi" the unix line editor is very useful ie. to change all interfaces from gi8/x to gi7/x

1,$s/gi8/gi7/g

and that's it. Course learning vi, that's a whole different matter :-)

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco