Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless N... question

If i upgraded my access points to N, would i need to upgrade my wireless network cards in the pc's or how does that work?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AP such as the AIR-LAP1142N and the AIR-LAP1252N are certified to support 802.11 a/b/g and N (Draft 2.0).

Here's the Data Sheet link to the newly released Cisco Aironet 1140 Series

wireless AP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/datasheet_c78-502793.html

Here's the Data Sheet link to the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series AP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/product_data_sheet0900aecd806b7c5c.html

Points to consider:

1. The Cisco Aironet 1140 Series is specifically designed of office-space use, i. e. coverage area is not important or limited area.

2. Cisco Aironet 1250 Series AP is designed for warehouse-like environment where you need range to boost the signal further, however, if you want the "full" power of this, you need to require either a power-pack or power-injector or a PoE switch that can provide 18.5W of power (such as the 3560-E/3750-E). This unit is housed in an all metallic chassis.

There are a number of "combinations" to get the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series to work and it's best to ask the dealer/reseller for further information.

Does this help?

don.click1
Level 4
Level 4

You know, ive had that question in the back of my mind for quite some time as well. We are about to replace 80 or so AP's with the new "N" flavors. I would like to think most modern (within the last 2 years) clients will support N, but its possible there will need to be driver updates for most.

THank you!.. we were gonna upgrade, but just wondered if were were gonna have to replace all tablets too to recognize the new speed. Thanks

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Fortunately, 802.11n access points have full backwards-compatibility with 802.11a/b/g clients. The downside to using that backwards compatibility is that the actual 802.11n clients will be slowed down, though they'll still run considerably faster than the older clients.

In most cases, companies don't upgrade all their clients to 802.11n at once. They'll upgrade the infrastructure, then make a plan to slowly roll out new clients.

I hope that helps!

Jeff

THank you!.. we were gonna upgrade, but just wondered if were were gonna have to replace all tablets too. Thanks

If you want to take advantage of the Draft N 2.0 standard, by all means.

Another thing to consider, both 1140 & 1250 will support a maximum of 12 clients. So if you have a higher client density, reconsider putting extra in an area or room.

Where is that client limit stated?

I don't think there is a limit to the number of clients. It would be more of a firmware feature and not hardware specific.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card