Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunnel Source

Hi,

In a regualr gre point to point tunnel, what happens when you set the tunnel source to a loopback?

Thanks,

Richard

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nothing bad, it's actually the correct way to identify a router uniquely and independently for interfaces and their status.

View solution in original post

Yes, the loopback would become the tunnel's souce "egress", but it works like when we use loopbacks for other source addresses on the router. Traffic would flow across what it considers to be the best physical path physical interface toward tunnel's destination.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nothing bad, it's actually the correct way to identify a router uniquely and independently for interfaces and their status.

Thanks for the response. But, what actually happens with that. I guess I have misunderstood that command because I thought that when you applied the tunnel source ___ command that what ever interface put in that command would be the egress interface. I now realize that I must be wrong with that and am kinda confused about exactly what that command does now.

Richard

Yes, the loopback would become the tunnel's souce "egress", but it works like when we use loopbacks for other source addresses on the router. Traffic would flow across what it considers to be the best physical path physical interface toward tunnel's destination.

Thanks. So if I put in the tunnel source as fa0/0 and that interface goes down (physically or logically) then the tunnel doesn't have the flexibility to go out another port?

I believe that's true.

Of course, using a loopback for the tunnel source won't help you if there's only one physical path for the tunnel and that's the interface that's failed.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card