cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roll-back LWAPP to Autonomous IOS and retain a configuration

rvanderwaal
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WLC-4404-100 with a mix of c1131 and c1232 access points associated. All my AP's are LWAPP (either ordered as LWAPP or converted from IOS to LWAPP), and I have just realised that I have more than 100 AP's to be rolled out. I know that an LWAPP AP can be converted back to Autonomous IOS, but cannot seem to find a definitive explanation about the configuration state of the AP after it has been converted back to Autonomous IOS.

I wish to convert some of my AP's which have already been setup to connect to my controller back to Autonomous IOS. My problem is that they are already rolled out and installed in ceiling spaces etc, and are not easy to physically get to and plug into the console. When I issue the 'config ap tftp-downgrade tftp-server-ip-address filename access-point-name' command on the controller CLI for an AP, when it boots up into autonomous IOS, what is the configuration state? Is it a blank "factory default" configuration, or does it retain a configuration based on how it was configured on the controller? Will I be able to remotely access the AP over the wire at all?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try the following steps:

LWAPP to Autonomous

Requirements:

• Image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

• AP is connected to the Wireless LAN Controller; and

• AP can ping the TFTP server where the image is located.

Procedures:

1. Find out what AP needs to be converted from LWAPP to Autonomous mode by entering the following command:

sh ap summary

2. Enter the following CLI command on the Wireless LAN Controller:

config ap tftp-downgrade

3. The AP will download the software and after a reboot, the AP will be on Autonomous mode.

Does this help?

I understand how to carry out the conversion process, my question is related to the configuration of the AP after it has been converted. When it first boots up in Autonomous IOS mode after being converted from LWAPP, what is the configuration of the AP? Is it a blank configuration requiring me to physically connect to the console port of the AP to configure it, or does it retain a configuration from the WLAN Controller? Or does it boot up with a configuration that allows me to telnet into it on a 10.x.x.x IP address?

Thanks.

When an AP has been converted from LWAPP to Autonomous, it intially behaves just like a brand new unit and very basic configuration, like all radios are "shutdown".

Does this help?

Thanks. I suspected this would be the case, but couldn't find anywhere to confirm it.

Does the default configuration that it boots up with come with an IP address configured? Or configured for DHCP?

No configuration at all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: