Views
Helpful
Replies

dynamic interface port assignment

ihouse205
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

I am setting up a 4402 (50 ap license ver 5.0) that will manage about 40 aps. Following the Cisco docs, I have created two ap manager intefaces for load balancing. Each physical port is attached to one of two Cat 6509s (no lag).

Our network ultimately connects to a router (over which I have no control) with six 100 mps ports each representing a subnet/vlan. So my intent is to create six dynamic interfaces each coresponding to a vlan for load balancing and bandwidth optimization.

My question regards assinging each dynamic interface to a physical port. Simple logic would have me assinging 3 interfaces to port #1 and three to port #2, then assigning a proportionate number of aps to each interface.

Is it that simple, or are there other considerations.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You're correct. Creating a dynamic interface for each VLAN is exactly what you need to do. This will load-balance the traffic from the multiple VLANs across your links.

I would highly recommend that you consider LAGging the two uplinks. It provides better load-balancing and better redundancy. Since you're connecting to a 6509, you can LAG between two blades for redundancy purposes.

Whether you LAG or not is completely up to you, of course. But you seem to be good to go if you want to leave them unLAGged.

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card