cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Differences between a PA-GE and a GEIP in a Cisco 7507

gregwoodson
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a PA-GE on a VIP2-50 in a 7507 router. What are going to be the differences between that and a GEIP? Can the GEIP card take 2 PA-GE's? Im wanting to make sure we are deploying these items correctly.

Thanks

Greg

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, depending on the intended use, you might something better to properly switch for dual PA-GE. Look at VIP4 or 6. Don;t need to carry a lot of memory unless lot of prefixes.

I dont currently need a dual GigE. I just want to make sure we are deploying correctly now. The question is- what is the difference between using a PA-GE in a VIP2-50 and a GEIP?

The GEIP is a older generation fixed configuration card and you cannot add or take anything from it.

So what is the best way to make sure we dont have performance issues on this PA-GE? Is a VIP2-50 enough? How much performance differences are there?

Hello Greg,

we had very bad experience with GEIP+.

Real performance was far lower then declared by Cisco.

I think GEIP+ has a processor equivalent to VIP2/50.

We were able to forward up to 280 Mbps of packets of big size (more then 1000 bytes) bidirectional and just 70 Mbps with frames of size 64.

We were using Vlan subinterfaces and we needed to move services to GSR GE interfaces for the low performance.

I would try the PA-GE over a newer and more powerful VIP like 4/80 or more as suggested by Paolo but I'm afraid that wire rate is impossible in C7500 for its internal architecture:

each Cy bus is 1Gbps and is used by vip linecars.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ok- now Im a little confused- Which is going to be the best solution for GigE in a 7507? Is it going to be a PA-GE in a VIP4-80? or something else? We just had our vendor say that the PA-GE wouldnt work in a VIP2-50 OR a VIP4-80.

Hmmm actually I had forgot that no VIP supports the PA-GE. Your only choices are the GEIP and GEIP+ with the performance caveats mentioned by Giuseppe.

Hello Paolo,

wellcome back in the forums

I remember we used a PA-GE on a VIP linecard and it was a 2/50 for IPv6 testing.

Do you mean this PA is not supported on later VIPs ?

Edit:

I have one PA-GE on a VIP 4/80 and it is in use:

NAME: "Line Card 3", DESCR: "Versatile Interface Processor (VIP4-80)"

PID: VIP4-80 , VID: Hardware Version : 2.03, Board Revision : A0, SN: 24644851

NAME: "Card Slot 3,Bay 0", DESCR: "Dual-wide GigabitEthernet"

PID: PA-GE(DW) , VID: Hardware Version : 0.02, Board Revision : A0, SN: 24002063

Edit2:

It is a GEIP linecard actually with fixed configuration dual wide means that takes both bays.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe, the PA-GE is not supported by any VIP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7500/vip2/installation/guide/2658vip2.html#wp133329

A similar document exists for VIP4.

The way cisco made the dual-width PA work on the GEIP, is by splitting TX and RX on the different bays, thus barely meeting the bandwidth constraints of the VIP-pA bus (a modified PCI).

But all in all, we know that the 7500 is not a gigabit class router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card