cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence 7 w/out LDAP

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

I have seen many posts here saying that LDAP is necessary for contact lookups. I want to know if you were in an environment that lacked any type of LDAP structure what would your options be? It seems the only functionality i would lose is the capability to add contacts to my groups because there would be no search context. Login in would still be successful though (in my thinking) because this would go back to CUCM to be authenticated. Am i missing something here?

Edit* I have seen some things about Federations but I am not too sure what that means or how I would use it.

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

indeed you still are able to log in, but without phone numbers and other contact details usually found in an AD or LDAP the full benefit of using CUPC will be lost

The contact list will not contain friendly names for the user's contacts, you'll see only something like emails, and you can set the name, but one at a time.

Because there is no LDAP/AD data there is no phone numbers for the user's contacts, same for e-mails.

no names for VMs or call history, also no search for contacts

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Java already gave very detailed information here.

You may also see my blog for LDAP integration:

http://htluo.blogspot.com/

And in this book, it has more in-depth explanation about how LDAP works with CUPS.

http://www.lulu.com/content/5552336

HTH

Michael

Essentially you would lose IM capabilities and click to dial from your contacts then? And LDAP is the ONLY external directory type to search from right?

Matt

Thanks again guys for helping me out!

Technically, with CUPC 7.x, you won't loose any of those features. But you'll have to build your contact one-by-one. And you have to enter all the details manually (phone number, email, etc.).

With LDAP, you can search > click > add.

How would that work with 7? When you say build your contacts do you mean from the CUPC client itself or is their another way? I have read that you can add your contacts from the presence ccmuser page but when they get added into presence they dont have any contact details.

With CUPC 1.x, you have to add contacts with CUPS user option page (if you don't use LDAP).

With CUPC 7.X, you may add contacts with CUPC (without LDAP). It's like adding "local significant" contacts. The advantage of this (versus adding from web) is that you may add many contact details.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the many replies today, as I really appreciate your time. It seems that w/out LDAP it makes the user have to do additional work to get his groups in order with the proper information. I understand what you mean when you say local significance and every user would have to input his or her own contacts. Not bad for a small organization but over 100 users could be extremely labor intensive. Anyway thanks again for your input!

FYI...I left an anonymous post on your blogspot about this same issue. Also I think a Presence book is a good idea. About how many pages is it and what version does it cover?

Matt

Edit*Saw the link again ...261 pages

If adding contact with CUPC, I am able to make/receive calls, send email, but no IM avaliable due to no UserID configuration with CUPC. How can I fix this problem? Thanks.

In the presence user options webpage, you can add a contact and have IM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: