cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange 2007 CAL Requirement with Unity UM

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We are deploying a Cisco Unity 5.x solution for a customer that decided to upgrade from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 right as we were nearing the completion of design phase with 2003.

The question has come up whether the customer needs to upgrade their Exchange Standard CALs to Enterprise level CALs (approx $36 per unit cost).

I would think that this is not necessary. The Unity docs just say Exchange CAL and do not specify. I see the Unity server as providing the "UM Access" and that we are simply using Exchange as a storage place. I don't see the need for a UM role in Exchange and therefore I don't see the need for an Exchange Enterprise CAL.

Does any body know what Microsoft's position on this is? Cisco's?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

1 Reply 1

nunoscosta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bill,

You can see the answer here:

Exchange Server 2007 Client Access Licenses

Exchange Server 2007 is offered in two client access license (CAL) editions: Standard CAL and Enterprise CAL.

•

The Exchange Server Standard CAL provides access to e-mail, shared calendaring and Outlook Web Access (OWA). In addition you will get advancements that reduce the cost and complexity of the messaging system by giving IT Administrators the messaging protection their company demands, the anywhere access their end users want and the reliability they need.

•

The Exchange Server Enterprise CAL is an additive CAL and requires that a Standard CAL is also purchased for each user or device. The Exchange Server Enterprise CAL provides access to Unified Messaging and advanced compliance, as well as Forefront Security for Exchange Server and Exchange Hosted Filtering for onsite and hosted antivirus and anti-spam protection.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/editions.mspx

Regards,

Nuno

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: