Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory upgrade 1760-V

jmandersson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to upgrade the flash and the ram for one of mine 1760-v. I have found different information of the maximum allowed memory, some sites says 96mb, some 128mb and some 160mb. I found one site that claimed that 1760 release after 2003 support up to 160. How do i find out when my router was released? I cant find that inforamtion in SH VER or SH HARDWARE. And how about the flash? How much memory i supported?

Regards

Johan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Johan,

Have a look at the attached PDF.

Based on this doc. 1760V router has a fixed 64MB DRAM and One DIMM slot. Max DRAM supported is 160MB. Standard DRAM on this router is 96MB.

As far as the flash is concerned it has a fixed slot of 32 MB and one free slot. Maximum Flash supported is 64 MB. Standard Flash is 32.

Now my assumption by standard is the default shipment and if this is true then in order to get a DRAM of 96 MB the additional slot will have 32 MB DRAM in addition to the fixed 64 MB.

Having said that, if you refer to the notes section it states -

"1721/51/60 shipped prior to August 18 2003 had 16MB flash and 32-64 MB DRAM"

Thus what your dealer is saying seems to be true - prior to 2003 assuming that the default shipment of DRAM was 32 MB (in the fixed slot) and you purchase this part number -

MEM1760-64U160D=

Cisco 1760 96MB DRAM DIMM

you'll have 32+96 = 128MB and not 160MB.

Now you need to figure out the amout of total DRAM you have and then arrive to a conclusion on the DRAM in the fixed slot.

MEM1760-64U160D= part number is nothing but a 96MB DRAM which will be installed in the free slot, additionally you should have 64 MB in the fixed slot to achieve 160MB of overall DRAM.

HTH.

-> Sushil

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Johan,

128MB is the maximum, please refer to the data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00800920f2.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Okej, thanks! Thats good enough for me.

But I'm a litle curious, the latest IOS in the 12.4T-family for the 1760-V requires 160MB minimum. Is it not supported, though it's exists?

c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin

Release Date: 02/Dec/2008

Minimum Memory: DRAM:160 MB Flash:32 MB

Thanks

Johan

Johan,

Excellent catch!

As you explained, there are discrepancies on the documents regarding this router.

According to the 12.4T Release Notes, this router support up to 160MB and I will tend to believe this statement as the part # MEM1700-64U160D is valid for 1760 Router.

HTH,

__

Edison.

I agree, most probably support 160MB. But som third-part memory dealers claim that the router must be released after November 2003 to achieve this. I can't find any offical Cisco documents about this catch.

Is there any SHOW command that can reveal when my router was released?

Have a nice evening! (yes, in sweden it's evening now...)

But som third-part memory dealers claim that the router must be released after November 2003 to achieve this. I can't find any offical Cisco documents about this catch.

Interesting. I've searched internally and I haven't seen any mentioning of this fact.

As for verifying the release date, can you physically inspect the router for any manufacturer date? I doubt that information is provided.

I suggest purchasing the memory from an authorized Cisco reseller and try it, if it does not work, you can always return it for the 96MB stick.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Hi Johan,

Have a look at the attached PDF.

Based on this doc. 1760V router has a fixed 64MB DRAM and One DIMM slot. Max DRAM supported is 160MB. Standard DRAM on this router is 96MB.

As far as the flash is concerned it has a fixed slot of 32 MB and one free slot. Maximum Flash supported is 64 MB. Standard Flash is 32.

Now my assumption by standard is the default shipment and if this is true then in order to get a DRAM of 96 MB the additional slot will have 32 MB DRAM in addition to the fixed 64 MB.

Having said that, if you refer to the notes section it states -

"1721/51/60 shipped prior to August 18 2003 had 16MB flash and 32-64 MB DRAM"

Thus what your dealer is saying seems to be true - prior to 2003 assuming that the default shipment of DRAM was 32 MB (in the fixed slot) and you purchase this part number -

MEM1760-64U160D=

Cisco 1760 96MB DRAM DIMM

you'll have 32+96 = 128MB and not 160MB.

Now you need to figure out the amout of total DRAM you have and then arrive to a conclusion on the DRAM in the fixed slot.

MEM1760-64U160D= part number is nothing but a 96MB DRAM which will be installed in the free slot, additionally you should have 64 MB in the fixed slot to achieve 160MB of overall DRAM.

HTH.

-> Sushil

Okej, now i perfectly understand what they ment!

Thanks to you all

Johan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco