Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Forwarding Decision

hclisschennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I am little confused in a basic routing concept. I have a router with routing table as below (mention as example)

D 192.168.32.0/24 [90/12345] via 10.1.1.1

R 192.168.32.0/26 [120/4] via 10.1.1.2

O 192.168.32.0/19 [110/3] via 10.1.1.3

If the packet comes with destination address of 192.168.32.1,

How the router decides which path to take.

I want to know how the router decides the forwarding decision. In which order Administrative Distance, Prefix , Metrics are verified for forwarding decision.

Can any body gives me a clear picture. If available document also please

R.B.Kumar

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

AD, metrics, etc only decides what it is installed in routing table. One in routing table, "longest matching route" is used.

You can read a book like http://books.google.it/books?id=9LBQAB2L6QgC&pg=PA198&lpg=PA198&dq=ios+routing+primer&source=bl&ots=jLZkwmXMNs&sig=YbdC_hAoJLLUHsolV10-w3zmvIo&hl=it&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPP1,M1

or there are many documents, use a search engine to find.

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response. In fact i have tried various literatures in Cisco. None gave me this clear information

Thanks for your input. I helped me to great extend.

You are welcome. In fact, I should have written:

Once in routing table, "longest matching route" is used. If more than one is found, then, load balancing happens according the method configured.

Please rate useful posts with the scrollbox below!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card