cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Connect 1240 LAP with fiber cable ?The distance is 50 m to 300 meter

contact_abdul
Level 1
Level 1

I have an area of 250meters by 250.This is automobile workshop for car maintenance.I want to cover this area through wireless 2.4 Ghz (no dead spot).Hand held devices will be accessing the Access points of 1240 series.These Access points will be connected to wireless controller.so access points will be LAP type.About Power supply to these A.P, I dont want POE.ok? Now my questions are:

01.How many 1240 series access point (lap type) needed to cover entire 250m X 250 m Area without dead spot?What type of Omni antenna or how many d.b ?

02.Suppose I make 4 equal imaginary partitions of square area (4 quadrants).Now I place 4 access points in each four quadrants (center of each quadrants).And One access point in the middle of the Main square.so total 4+1=5 access points.Will this work? Please suggest better options for how to position A.Ps?How many?

03.My MAIN QUESTION IS : Suppose each access points are 40 to 250 meters away from wireless controller or Cisco Switch .Since Cat 6 UTP cant support generally more than 100 meters....so I have plans to use Fiber Cable.Each A.P will be connected with switch/wireless controller

(a)What type of fiber cable I use?

(b)what media converter I use (fiber to ethernet) near each access points.?

(c)How should I connect the fiber at the switch end.Imagine and switch and wireless controller in one cabinet.

Please reply.My questions may sound stupid but I am new in optical networking and wireless area.

I need every minute details (considering me a lay man)

7 Replies 7

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For question #3:

Contact a media converter or distributor company to get specifics about media converter and fiber cable part numbers (links below to one).

Use multimode fiber (62.5/125µm, 50/125µm or per media converter supplier). Media converters (MCs) will support 2km (min). Once you know the approx distance between Cisco Ethernet switch and APs, you can order fiber cable assemblies, with SC connectors at each end. Minimum 2 fibers per media converter or some have bi-directional single fiber options.

Single media converter, 10/100Mbps or fixed 100Mbps) at each access point with a matching rack mounted set at the switch. Connection from AP to MC and MC to Cisco switch is with 10/100Base-T via CAT5. Also, might be able to eliminate rack mounted set of MCs by connecting remote MCs directly to Cisco switch via 100Base-FX SFPs (if chosen Cisco switch supports 100Base-FX interfaces of qty req'd, one per AP).

Will need 120VAC power outlet for media converter (same with AP).

http://www.mediaconverters.com/

http://www.gocsc.com/

Dear baileyshbr ,

Thnx alot.

Suppose I choose media converter PLANET brand.I think its easily available in my city (Jeddah).

Can you name top 5 brands ?

Let me go through web links and get back to u for any more questions.

Thnx alot

abdul

Media converters are fairly simple devices. I couldn't recommend one brand over another. It may be more important for you to purchase a brand from a supplier in your area that has local inventory, employees, and quick repair services.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Q01 & Q02: I would recommend that you have a site survey. Every site has a unique "signature" to require wireless coverage.

Q03a: If GBIC, 1000BASE-LX/LH GBIC transceiver module for MMF and SMF, 1300-nm wavelength (PID G5486)

If SFP, 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP transceiver module for MMF and SMF, 1300-nm wavelength (PID GLC-LH-SM)

Q03b: If AP's will be connected to the switches, why do you want to deploy media converters?

Q03c: Single-Mode Fibre. Depending on your switch, either SC or LC, Duplex.

Is this helpful?

Q03b: If AP's will be connected to the switches, why do you want to deploy media converters?

>> The distance between the switch and the AP exceeds supported Ethernet on copper. Need to leverage fiber.

all a.p will not be connected to switches directly through utp cable.Some A.Ps which are around upto 80 meters distance from switch i will directly connect them with switch through utp.

The A.ps which are more than 90 meters to 200 meters.....i will use fiber....no utp cable!

The reason I recommended multimode fiber cable and GBICs/SFPs is because the distance is not too long for MMF optics and they are less expensive than SMF optics (1300nm, SMF/MMF).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: