hi every body!

My Cisco press book shows the following configuration:

router(config)# int e0

router(config-if) ip address 192.192.192.1 255.255.255.0

router(config-if) no shutdown

router(config-if) standby 1 priority 200

router(config-if) standby 1preempt

router(config-if) standby 1 ip 192.12.192.2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plain-text hsrp authentication:

My book says cisco device use 'ciso' as the deafault key string.

My question is in the above configuration, we did not configure any authetication , should i assume the hsrp messages will be sent with plain text authetication string"cisco"?

Or the book means we use the command" standyby 1 authetication " and did not specify the string , then the string" cisco" is assumed?

thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

crow930us
Level 3
Level 3

The command to configure authenticaiton is standby [group-number] authentication string.

Authentication prevents a lower priority device from learning the standby IP address and timer values from a higher priority device. The authentication key that is used for this is sent as an unencrypted clear-text 8 character string. The default string is Cisco.

If you haven't configured authentication then it wont be used.

Configuring HSRP: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swhsrp.html#wp1044417

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

crow930us
Level 3
Level 3

The command to configure authenticaiton is standby [group-number] authentication string.

Authentication prevents a lower priority device from learning the standby IP address and timer values from a higher priority device. The authentication key that is used for this is sent as an unencrypted clear-text 8 character string. The default string is Cisco.

If you haven't configured authentication then it wont be used.

Configuring HSRP: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swhsrp.html#wp1044417

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: