cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping only Cisco devices

dpropson
Level 1
Level 1

I've set up a lab with 2 2501s connected via dte/dce serial connection. One side of the "WAN" is on the 10.10.10.0, the other is on a 192.168.0.0 network. From the 10 network I can ping S0 and E0 on the 192 side. Also, I can ping the default gateway on the 192 (a Cisco broadband gateway). I cannot, however, ping any workstations on the 192 network from the 10. This must be something simple but I just am not seeing it.

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the default-gateway of the clients set to ?. If it is the broadband gateway then you will need a route on there to get back to the 10.10.10.x network ie.

ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

Jon

The default-gateway on the broadband router, on the 192., should get them back to the 10.10.10.x network. The clients have routes that will allow them to the actual WAN and the lab WAN (the 10.0.0.0).

It seems that everything is configured correctly....

dpropson,

What routing protocol are you running? Also, are the workstations running vista?

Richard

Thanks to the both of you for your remarks. I am using EIGRP and the workstations are running Ubuntu and the other XP.

Try to stop on the windows side the Firewall it stops a lot of times the ping

Considering that you had put both networks in the eigrp process and the link in between the routers is up, you should not have any problem

regards

Ivian

mszeftawy
Level 1
Level 1

can you ping those hosts from the directly connected router ??

IF yes:

send the show IP route of the remote router

IF No:

the problem is inside the LAN it may be FW or L2 issue

is there any SW in the middle between the router and the Hosts ??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card