cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing

wossen.abebe
Level 1
Level 1

I have workstation on VLAN 100 (Access Switch). When doing a source ping from another vlan (15) on the core (6509) i can ping some of the workstation on vlan 100, but can not ping others.

If i source ping a workstation from VLAN 100 i get replies with no problems. The access switch is directly connected to the core. The gateway for the workstations on vlan 100 is the ip address configured on the access switch (4506-VLAN100). Any recommendations

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where is the inter-vlan routing done for vlan 100 ?.

If the 6500 switch has a layer 3 interface for vlan 100 then you should be setting the clients to that address as the gateway for the workstations.

How is the access-switch connected to the core switch ?

Jon

You dont have a routing problem, thats for sure.

Why dont you post the configs of the core and access switches and one of the workstations?

Do an ipconfig /all on the workstation.

Thanks

Jon,

Thanks for the reply... The 6509 has a layer 3 interface (VLAN100) and it's also on the access switch. The access switch is connected to the 6509 via fiber. The gateway for the workstations is the layer 3 interface on the access switch and not the 6509. I'm sure i'll need to change that at some point.

Your setup doesnt make sense.

Why dont you post the configs for the access and core switches?

Can you post a "sh ip route" from the 4500 and the 6500.

Jon

"The 6509 has a layer 3 interface (VLAN100) and it's also on the access switch.... The gateway for the workstations is the layer 3 interface on the access switch and not the 6509."

You should only have one layer 3 interface for this network (vlan 100), preferably not on your access switch. Your access switch should be doing layer 2 and your 6509 (distribution or core or both) should do the routing for your vlan (layer 3 interface). The gateway for the workstations should be the 6509 interface vlan 100.

sharma16031981
Level 1
Level 1

Try clearing arp cache on core switches and access switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: