cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

POE on cat6 cable.How much maximum length possible?

contact_abdul
Level 1
Level 1

This sounds silly but still i ask to be safe in my project.I want to use Cisco 1250 LAP with wireless controller.I want to use POE facility.There are around 7 1250 seried LAP AP.My question is :

01.Suppose the farthest access point (cisco 1250 with wireless n & around 5-6 DBI Omni Antenna) which needs power on poe is 110 meters away from poe switch.I want to use normal cat 6 utp cable to connect the A.P.

(a)How many meters maximum cat 6 utp needed to support poe? How should I check how much is dc voltage loss at the end of the A.P due to long cat 6 cable?

Thanx in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

100 Meters (90 "in the wall," Solid conductor, + up to 5 meters of jumper cordage ,stranded conductor at each end, is the spec for TIA/EIA 568 structured cabling (and hence, POE).

If this is a commercial project, you may need to adjust your design accordingly, or you would be out of specification, for whatever liability that might present in your situation.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

100 Meters (90 "in the wall," Solid conductor, + up to 5 meters of jumper cordage ,stranded conductor at each end, is the spec for TIA/EIA 568 structured cabling (and hence, POE).

If this is a commercial project, you may need to adjust your design accordingly, or you would be out of specification, for whatever liability that might present in your situation.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card