cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7206 Router Console Port Not Working

sestonenppd
Level 1
Level 1

Ok. I've got a 7206 router with a NPE400 and C7200-I/O-GE+E controller. This unit was removed from service, had installed the NPE400, was left running in our TOC, and sent to me to test before reinstalling. Unfortunately, I cannot access it via the console port. The Ethernet port is not activated so I can't try telnetting to it. I've double and triple checked my serial connections and cabling, reseated all the cards, powered off and back on several times all to no avail. It's no longer under maintenance contract so if I don't figure it out, I'm in big trouble. Any other ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Scott,

new I/O but also the I/O model counts we had a similar experience with a C7200:

first of all you cannot mount an NPE 400 on a chassis that is not VXR try to check the label on the chassis.

then if the chassis is VXR the NPE-400 is fine.

I would try to power off the chassis, unplug power cable and try to remove and reseat the I/O controller (there is a chance that is not well inserted)

if the chassis is not VXR your I/O controller is not supported see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/install_and_upgrade/7200_i.o_controller_install/4447io.html#wp20798

table 11

So you need to check all these.

We installed for error an npe-400 on a 7206 chassis by using the old I/O controller and it started to experience sudden reloads for bus errors.

I realized with sh c7200 that the chassis was not a VXR !

We had to install an NPE 200 and to give back the npe 400.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Scott,

but there is still an I/O controller on the chassis , and what type is it ?

not all types of I/O controllers are good match for a given NPE model

Hope to help

Giuseppe

If I read your question correctly, it's a c7200-I/O-GE+E (Ethernet/Gigabit Ethernet Input/Output Controller). Or am I looking for something else?

Thanks for the links. 1st, the controller has RJ45 connectors for the Aux and Console ports instead of the RS232 shown in the picture.

2nd, the "enabled" light is not lit on the I/O Controller. From the second link you provided: "•Is the I/O controller enabled LED on?

-If yes, the system software has initialized successfully, and the system is operational.

-If the enabled LED remains off, the system detected a processor hardware failure. (This LED should be on in normal operation.) Contact a service representative for instructions."

New I/O card?

Hello Scott,

new I/O but also the I/O model counts we had a similar experience with a C7200:

first of all you cannot mount an NPE 400 on a chassis that is not VXR try to check the label on the chassis.

then if the chassis is VXR the NPE-400 is fine.

I would try to power off the chassis, unplug power cable and try to remove and reseat the I/O controller (there is a chance that is not well inserted)

if the chassis is not VXR your I/O controller is not supported see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/install_and_upgrade/7200_i.o_controller_install/4447io.html#wp20798

table 11

So you need to check all these.

We installed for error an npe-400 on a 7206 chassis by using the old I/O controller and it started to experience sudden reloads for bus errors.

I realized with sh c7200 that the chassis was not a VXR !

We had to install an NPE 200 and to give back the npe 400.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

It is a VXR chassis. I tried reseating the cards again. Still no enable LED. Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card