Views
Helpful
Replies

SR520 WLAN and QOS

jwaskewics
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I wanted to know if the WLAN on a SR520 supports QOS.

We are trying to setup a teleworker site and want to stick with the 500 family of devices.  The requirement of the teleworker site is to have hard wired PCs connecting to the SR520 and a wireless phone at the teleworker site with good voice quality (QOS).

For Example, take the UC500 (not a typo UC500) and its built-in WLAN (assuming you order it this way).  According to the documentation the WLAN will work with the Cisco 7921 (for example), but does not support QOS over that WLAN antenea, you must get a WAP or WLC and WAP combination to support QOS over WLAN.

I would appreciate seeing this in a Cisco official document.

Thanks, John

1 Reply 1

The SR520 is WMM certified, but it does not support diversity. For mixed wireless voice and wireless data deployments it should be a good choice. However, you are sayig that the PC's will be wired to the network, while the voice will be wireless. In this case, I think that more important than WLAN QoS is WAN QoS. The reason is that with this being a teleworker deployment, the 7921 will be registering to a remote UC500.

With regards to the lack of QoS/WMM support in the UC500, that has changed somehow. We still mandate that you deploy a WAP/WLC when using the 7921. But with the new SPA525 phone (wireless desk phone), CCA will push QoS configuration for the embedded and external access points, depending on the deployment model. Notice that this is possible because there are no roaming or mobile considerations (the SPA525 is a "static" phone).

Hope this helps,

Marcos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: