cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stupid banner question (but frustrating)

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Okay,

How can I copy a banner message from running config? :-)

Here's the issue. I have a banner message, and it seems that when I copy and paste, the message has a "C" at the beginning and end of the message.

I know that I can manually type in "banner motd %", hit enter, paste the message, and enter a "%" at the end, but I've been copying configs, and I noticed that the "C" is there because in the config it's like:

banner ^C

***** message ****

^C

The "C"s are coming across as a character and not a break. Any ideas?

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

That is one of the odd things about IOS (and has been the case for a very long time). The display of running config represents the delimiter of the banner as two characters ^C and if you paste that into the config of another router then it interprets the ^ as the delimiter and puts the C as the leading character of the new banner.

My solution to this has been to copy the banner, paste the banner into a text file, change ^C to some single character delimiter, copy the changed text file, paste it into the running config to produce a new banner (without the leading C).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

That is one of the odd things about IOS (and has been the case for a very long time). The display of running config represents the delimiter of the banner as two characters ^C and if you paste that into the config of another router then it interprets the ^ as the delimiter and puts the C as the leading character of the new banner.

My solution to this has been to copy the banner, paste the banner into a text file, change ^C to some single character delimiter, copy the changed text file, paste it into the running config to produce a new banner (without the leading C).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I use the same solution as what Rick does :)

There are some router banner I saw so many C's, I think it was copied from one network to another (very popular banner) so it become like this ^CCCCC :)

Yeah, that's what I've been doing but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a "trick." :-)

Thanks Rick!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card