cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Encapsulation command when trunking on 4507R E core

planzone
Level 1
Level 1

I was doing some trunking - typical command such as switchport mode trunk then typed encapsulation dot1q and it was not available. But the dot1q-tunnel was available.

Is dot1q-tunnel one in the same for encapsulation or is this a another ios upgrade for me? I just upgraded this switch to ios version 12.2(46)SG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Pete,

With the particular module you have it only supports dot1q trunks. the "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" command is only valid is ISL trunking is also supported on the module. The "switchport mode trunk" command will be sufficient to form a dot1q trunk. No need to specify the form of trunk.

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Pete,

With the particular module you have it only supports dot1q trunks. the "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" command is only valid is ISL trunking is also supported on the module. The "switchport mode trunk" command will be sufficient to form a dot1q trunk. No need to specify the form of trunk.

HTH,

Mark

Chuckle - ok Mark.

Thanks as always. - Can you tell I am rusty ? :)

Sounds like I am golden.

No problem. Glad I was able to help!

Mark

OK I have been away for a bit.. So just to re-confirm. If I have a switch on one end in an IDF and to trunk it I need to switchport mode trunk encapsulation dot1q on its gbic interface and on the core side I just use switchport mode trunk ?

NOT switchport mode dot1q-tunnel ??

And all should be good?

Pete

As Mark said if the module only supports 802.1q encapsulation then the command "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" is not available.

So yes just use "switchport mode trunk" on the 4500 port.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card