Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Juniper MVPN

gauravprakash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco gear cloud. The cisco one uses SSM for mVPN for both default and data MDT. Now I have to intergrate mVPN into a cloud which has Juniper gear, dont know much about Juniper cloud MVPN details, but I have heard that there are interoperability , as SSM is not supported on Juniper. Can anyone explain with aspect to INtra-AS-MVPN & Inter-AS-MVPN?

Thx..

GP

7 Replies 7

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gaurav,

Juniper does not support SSM for the dafault MDT but they do for the data MDT. For interoperability purposes, you need to go to the lowest common denominator, which is ASM for the default MDT. You can go with SSM for the data MDT though as both Cisco and Juniper support it.

By the way, is that InterAS mVPN or a single AS?

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

hi hritter

I have a query how can we create data mdt without creating default mdt. For MVPN default mdt is manadatory because it is responsible for MTI.

regards

shivlu jain

Shivlu,

The default MDT is definitely required. I was just pointing out that, in a dual vendor network, you could use SSM for the data MDT and ASM for the default MDT.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

hritter

thanks got it.

regards

shivlu jain

Actually I need to pick protocols which is also comfortable for Inter-AS OPtion B environment. Thats why I prefer SSM, as MDT SAFI is very easy way InterAS too.

If I select ASM model for default MDT & SSM for data mdt, then what the prefered model for INterAS mVPN deployment?

Thx,

Gaurav

Gaurav,

As far as I know, IOS and JUNOS will not interoperate in an InterAS option 10B context. This is due to some new features required for the support of InterAS mVPN in an option 10B, which are not supported by JUNOS. These features are the connector attributes, the MDT SAFI and the RPF Vector and are documented in the below URL. But as Mohamed mentioned option 10A would not be an issue though and it is the simplest by far.

Regards

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/iasmcvpn.html

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

For (Inter-AS Mvpn) , I would choose Option (A), its the easiest simplified vrf to vrf connectivity between PEs , this unless Mr. Harold has another suggestion.

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: