cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator used to reach dial up modem

npalmquist
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to use Cisco IP Communicator to reach a dial-up modem instead of using the pots line?

I would appreciate any general guidance for this direction

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, sorry. There are specialized applications (virtual com port) that can make a dial-up modem on a cisco router to appear like a local resource on the PC.

Hope this helps, please ratepost if it does!

I can use putty to dial into a dial up modem and then I have terminal access. I think I need to clarify something.

Instead of using my modem and a pots line to reach the dial up modem, can an existing and functioning Cisco IP Communicator application be used to reach a dial up modem instead of a pots line? The device behind the modem may or may not be a Cisco Router. That is why your response confuses me

I can call the modem with Cisco IP Communicator. I hear the handshake. I guess I need to add Communicator as a modem on my laptop somehow?

I see a page on this website named "Modem Passthrough over Voice over IP" so I know it is supported, somehow, with some kind of configuration. Maybe the IP Communicator server can support this? Or maybe a new server needs to be built?

This idea is fresh, and I thought it may be as simple as installing a new modem on my laptop that uses IP Communicator to make the call. I need help to get started.

Hi, you dial to remote modem, but there is no way the the ICPC will establish a modem connection, or emulate a modem for the PC.

And, neither a physical modem installed in the PC can use the ICPC or viceversa.

From that the recommendation that you install your own modems and then share them via virtual com port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: