cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use AIR-ANT24120 or AIR-ANT1728 with 1250 series for Indoor?

contact_abdul
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use Cisco 1250 Series LAP (E ETSI Regulation) wireless n at 2.4 GHZ and (total 3 lap access points the total area with wireless controller of 2112 series) with wireless n in a warehouse of 90 meters by 70 meters area.

question 1.Can Connect the omni 12 dbi antena to 1250 series (connector will support or not?)

question2. Suppose the access points are at an height of 16 meters from ground.The ground users will be hand held devices for bar code readers/scanners.

(A)HOW MUCH AREA (RADIUS IN METERS)THE GROUND WILL BE COVERED WITH 12 DBI OMNI ANTENA?

(B)How area will be covered on the ground (radius in meters)by using 5.2 Dbi omni antena?

plz reply

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I will try to answer your questions:

01.will the connector support ?

Yes... RP-TNC connectors are required on the antenna. Thoses antennas contain those ends.

02.is 5.8 Ghz allowed in indoor (safety wise/health wise)? which frequency is recommended 2.4 or 5.8 ghz?

Either frequency will work. One thing you need to look at is budget. 5.0ghz will give you more channels and less interference issues than the 2.4ghz, but it will also require more access points since you get better coverage in the lower frequencies.

03.I think if i use wireless n then coverage will be better than wirelesss g (i want to eliminate any dead spot).I think handheld devices now in market mostly wireless g or a?in any case all will work with wireless n access points?.....

Yes.. plus it might give you better coverage due to multipath in warehouse and manufacturing environments.

04.i want to use only one antenna on each access points on 2.4 or 5.4 GHz....with 5.2 DB Omni ....or if its recommended then i will use thre 5.2 db on each access points.please suggest.

In an indoor environment, I would suggest you use all three. This allows you to use diversity to help against multipath issues. You would need 3 antennas on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz. The 5ghz antennas are different from the 2.4ghz antennas.

05. I want to use wireless n because its backward compatible and more coverage.Also i believe in comming 2 years gradually many handheld devices will be supporting wireless n....what u suggest.plz comment and recommend

If you want to use 802.11n in the furture, then I would suggest you use the 5ghz side and have a wireless site survey done to verify you have 100% coverage in the 5ghz spectrum.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well for one, you shoudln't use such a high db gain.... stick with the AIR-ANT1728 or the AIR-ANT2506. Also if you plan on using "N"... meaning bonding two 20mhz channels, then you shouldn't do this on the 2.4ghz but on the 5ghz. Also, I don't know of any scanners that support 802.11N??? 16 meters is kind of high, but should still give you adequate coverage below. A site survey really is required to determine what can be covered in your environment. If you have rows of racks and depending what is in thoses racks, you might need an ap per row.... or maybe not. Also, most newer scanners support the 5ghz side, but that will require more ap's, but most likely you will have no issues with interference. You will be using 3 antennas on the 2.4ghz radio and not one... correct?

-Scott

Make sure when using the external antennae to calculate wavelength to insure proper spacing between the APs.

Dear fella5,

Thnx for reply.My question :will the connector support ?

02.is 5.8 Ghz allowed in indoor (safety wise/health wise)? which frequency is recommended 2.4 or 5.8 ghz?

03.I think if i use wireless n then coverage will be better than wirelesss g (i want to eliminate any dead spot).I think handheld devices now in market mostly wireless g or a?in any case all will work with wireless n access points?.....

04.i want to use only one antenna on each access points on 2.4 or 5.4 GHz....with 5.2 DB Omni ....or if its recommended then i will use thre 5.2 db on each access points.please suggest.

05. I want to use wireless n because its backward compatible and more coverage.Also i believe in comming 2 years gradually many handheld devices will be supporting wireless n....what u suggest.plz comment and recommend

I will try to answer your questions:

01.will the connector support ?

Yes... RP-TNC connectors are required on the antenna. Thoses antennas contain those ends.

Either frequency will work. One thing you need to look at is budget. 5.0ghz will give you more channels and less interference issues than the 2.4ghz, but it will also require more access points since you get better coverage in the lower frequencies.

Yes.. plus it might give you better coverage due to multipath in warehouse and manufacturing environments.

In an indoor environment, I would suggest you use all three. This allows you to use diversity to help against multipath issues. You would need 3 antennas on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz. The 5ghz antennas are different from the 2.4ghz antennas.

If you want to use 802.11n in the furture, then I would suggest you use the 5ghz side and have a wireless site survey done to verify you have 100% coverage in the 5ghz spectrum.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card