Views
Helpful
Replies

standby between interfaces

denaumcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

There is a way to do a hot standby between 2 interfaces at the same router?

Something like HSRP between 2 routers, but I need to do between 2 interfaces, when one comes down, the order get its IP

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Denis

You can use IRB (Intergrated Routing & Bridging) for this which allows you to bridge the 2 interfaces on the router ans and assign one IP address to the bridged interface , see attached link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094663.shtml

Note that STP will block one of the links so only one link can be used at any one time.

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have the standby option, you'll do

int fa0/0

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

standby 1 10.1.1.1

int fa0/1

ip address 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.0

standby 1 10.1.1.1

Can you post what you're trying to do?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you wanting the same public IP assigned to a different interface? Do you have a static address assigned now? If so, what you want to do isn't possible that I know of. You won't be able to assign the address to the other interface because the router will tell you that the "address overlaps interface xx."

You can have different addresses assigned to your interfaces (they have to be in different subnets) and have routes force all traffic out one interface, and run ip sla to track that interface. If the interface goes down, all of your traffic can be pushed out of the other interface.

You can also just have two interfaces with two different addresses and run floating routes in your config.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa0/0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 250 fa0/0 254

OR

You can track the interface:

track 1 int fa0/0 line-protocol

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa0/1 track 1

I'm not 100% sure if the last one will work because I've never tried it. I'm not sure if the track line in the route statement will ONLY work if the tracked item goes down.

HTH,

John

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the concern, device/service connecting the 2 routers will go down? i.e. redundant switch in between the 2 routers or WAN links (serial)?

There are alternatives in achieving that failover if you give us more info on how the two routers is connected.

Like the file attached, If the interface fa0/0

goes down, I need that the interface fa0/1 gets the same IP and keep answering to computer

Well, from your diagram it looks like you're still wanting HSRP. You would assign the 10.0.0.1 ip address as the standby address, but your physical interfaces would still have a different address assigned to them.

My 2811 does support it. I'm running Enterprise Services IOS on mine.

HTH,

John

but John,

I cant put the stanby IP the same as the other interface real IP.

Its overlaps the other

Denis

You can use IRB (Intergrated Routing & Bridging) for this which allows you to bridge the 2 interfaces on the router ans and assign one IP address to the bridged interface , see attached link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094663.shtml

Note that STP will block one of the links so only one link can be used at any one time.

Jon

I learn something new everyday. :-)

John

Thanks Jon, Im gonna test this solution

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card